A Question on Goldstein and D'Alembert's Principle

In summary, Goldstein is discussing the derivation of Lagrange's equation from D'Alembert's Principle. He states that the equation can be derived from the chain rule for partial differentiation. He then states that:\frac{d}{dt}\frac{d\mathbf{r}_i}{dq_j}=\sum_k \frac{\partial^2 \textbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j \partial q_k}\dot{q}_k+\frac{\partial^2 \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j\partial t}
coca-cola
Hey all,

I am reading Goldstein and I am at a point where I can't follow along. He has started with D'Alembert's Principle and he is showing that Lagrange's equation can be derived from it. He states the chain rule for partial differentiation:
[tex]\frac{d\textbf{r}_i}{dt}=\sum_k \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial q_k}\dot{q}_k+\frac{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial t}[/tex]

Then he states, by the equation above, that:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{d\mathbf{r}_i}{dq_j}=\sum_k \frac{\partial^2 \textbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j \partial q_k}\dot{q}_k+\frac{\partial^2 \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j\partial t}[/tex]

He further states from the first equation that:
[tex]\frac{\partial \mathbf{v}_i}{\partial \dot{q}_j}=\frac{\partial \mathbf{r}_i}{\partial q_j}[/tex]

I have tried to connect the dots but I cannot succeed. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think the first relation as a definition for an operator

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}=\sum_k \frac{\partial}{\partial q_k}\dot{q}_k+\frac{\partial }{\partial t}[/tex]

The second equation follows immdiately from applying ##\frac{d}{dt}## to ##\frac{d\mathbf{r}_i}{dq_j}## and the last one from applying ##\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot q_j}## to the first equation.

Likes coca-cola
Thanks!

So is the definition simply the chain rule of a function that depends on q_1, q_2,...q_N, and t? If the function had no explicit dependence on t, even though the generalized coordinates did, would you simply drop the partial with respect to t?

coca-cola said:
Thanks!

So is the definition simply the chain rule of a function that depends on q_1, q_2,...q_N, and t? If the function had no explicit dependence on t, even though the generalized coordinates did, would you simply drop the partial with respect to t?
Yes, certainly.

--
lightarrow

1. What is Goldstein and D'Alembert's Principle?

Goldstein and D'Alembert's Principle is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics that states that the equations of motion for a system can be derived from the principle of least action. It is a powerful tool for solving problems in dynamics and has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How does Goldstein and D'Alembert's Principle differ from Newton's laws of motion?

While Newton's laws of motion describe the behavior of an isolated system under the influence of external forces, Goldstein and D'Alembert's Principle takes into account the constraints and forces within a system. It is a more general approach to solving problems in classical mechanics.

3. What are some practical applications of Goldstein and D'Alembert's Principle?

Goldstein and D'Alembert's Principle has many practical applications, including analyzing the motion of particles in a fluid, studying the dynamics of a pendulum, and predicting the behavior of complex mechanical systems such as a satellite in orbit.

4. Can Goldstein and D'Alembert's Principle be applied to non-conservative systems?

Yes, Goldstein and D'Alembert's Principle can be applied to non-conservative systems where energy is not conserved. In these cases, the principle still holds, but the equations of motion may be more complex and require additional considerations.

5. How does Goldstein and D'Alembert's Principle relate to the principle of virtual work?

The principle of virtual work is a special case of Goldstein and D'Alembert's Principle, where the virtual displacements of a system are considered to be in equilibrium. This principle is often used to analyze the stability of structures and predict the response of materials to external forces.