A question regarding the ratio test for limits

In summary, the definition of a limit states that for a sequence with a limit L, for any positive epsilon, there exists a natural number N such that for all n greater than N, the difference between the nth term and L is less than epsilon. This definition is equivalent to the definition that for any positive epsilon up to some fixed constant k, there exists a natural number N such that for all n greater than N, the difference between the nth term and L is less than epsilon.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
So we have the theorem:
if ##a_n>0## and ##\lim_{n\to \infty} a_{n+1}/a_n = L## then ##\lim_{n\to \infty} a_n^{1/n}=L##.

Now, the proof that I had seen for ##L\ne0## that we choose ##\epsilon<L##.

But what about the case of ##\epsilon>L##, in which case we have:
##a_{n+1}>(L-\epsilon)a_n## but the last RHS is negative, so I cannot take the n-th root without going into problems of an n-th root of a negative number, which is not defined for even n's in the real line.

I read this solution from Albert Blank's solutions to Fritz John and Richard Courant's textbook.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
So we have the theorem:
if ##a_n>0## and ##\lim_{n\to \infty} a_{n+1}/a_n = L## then ##\lim_{n\to \infty} a_n^{1/n}=L##.

Now, the proof that I had seen for ##L\ne0## that we choose ##\epsilon<L##.

But what about the case of ##\epsilon>L##, in which case we have:
##a_{n+1}>(L-\epsilon)a_n## but the last RHS is negative, so I cannot take the n-th root without going into problems of an n-th root of a negative number, which is not defined for even n's in the real line.

I read this solution from Albert Blank's solutions to Fritz John and Richard Courant's textbook.

If ##L>0##, you can always choose ##\epsilon>0## such that ##0<\epsilon <L##. What exactly is the problem here?

@Math_QED the definition of a limit is ##\lim_{n\to \infty}b_n=L \Leftrightarrow \forall \epsilon >0 \exists N(\epsilon) \in \mathbb{N} (n>N(\epsilon) \rightarrow |b_n-L|<\epsilon##.

Then for the definition of limit I need to show that limit also applies for ##\epsilon>L##, since the definition requires that the statement ##n>N(\epsilon)\rightarrow |b_n-L|<\epsilon## will be true for every positive epsilons not only those that are less than ##L##.
And I don't see why does this follow here?

Perhaps I am confused.

@Math_QED the definition of a limit is ##\lim_{n\to \infty}b_n=L \Leftrightarrow \forall \epsilon >0 \exists N(\epsilon) \in \mathbb{N} (n>N(\epsilon) \rightarrow |b_n-L|<\epsilon##.

Then for the definition of limit I need to show that limit also applies for ##\epsilon>L##, since the definition requires that the statement ##n>N(\epsilon)\rightarrow |b_n-L|<\epsilon## will be true for every positive epsilons not only those that are less than ##L##.

Perhaps I am confused.
Maybe so. The definition says, in part, "for any positive ##\epsilon##", but you want to show that for reasonably large n, that ##b_n## and L are only a small distance apart. The concept here is that no matter how close together someone else requires these two numbers to be, you can find a number n that forces ##b_n## and L to be that close. There is no reason for someone to choose ##\epsilon## to be large; i.e., larger than L.

Here's an example. Let ##b_n = \frac 1 2, \frac 2 3, \frac 3 4, \dots, \frac n {n + 1}, \dots##. The limit of this sequence clearly is 1. If someone else chooses ##\epsilon = 2##, how far along in the seqence do you need to go so that ##|b_n - 1| < 2##? If they want to make you work, they will choose a much smaller value for ##\epsilon##.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
Mark44 said:
Maybe so. The definition says, in part, "for any positive ##\epsilon##", but you want to show that for reasonably large n, that ##b_n## and L are only a small distance apart. The concept here is that no matter how close together someone else requires these two numbers to be, you can find a number n that forces ##b_n## and L to be that close. There is no reason for someone to choose ##\epsilon## to be large; i.e., larger than L.

Here's an example. Let ##b_n = \frac 1 2, \frac 2 3, \frac 3 4, \dots, \frac n {n + 1}, \dots##. The limit of this sequence clearly is 1. If someone else chooses ##\epsilon = 2##, how far along in the seqence do you need to go so that ##|b_n - 1| < 2##? If they want to make you work, they will choose a much smaller value for ##\epsilon##.
I need to relearn stuff that I have forgotten.

Perhaps I am confused.

Show that this definition is equivalent with the definition:

##\forall \epsilon \in (0,k): \exists N: \dots##

where ##k>0## is some fixed constant.

1. What is the ratio test for limits?

The ratio test for limits is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term of a series. If the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is equal to 1 or the limit does not exist, the test is inconclusive.

2. How is the ratio test for limits different from other convergence tests?

The ratio test for limits is different from other convergence tests because it is a direct comparison of the (n+1)th term to the nth term of a series. Other tests, such as the integral test or the comparison test, involve comparing the series to another known series or function. The ratio test also has the advantage of being able to determine the convergence or divergence of series with alternating signs.

3. When should the ratio test for limits be used?

The ratio test for limits should be used when the terms of a series are in a rational or polynomial form. It is also useful for series with alternating signs or series with factorial terms. However, the ratio test may not be applicable for series with exponential or trigonometric terms.

4. Can the ratio test for limits be used to determine absolute convergence?

Yes, the ratio test for limits can be used to determine absolute convergence. If the limit of the ratio of the absolute values of the (n+1)th term to the nth term is less than 1, the series is absolutely convergent. If the limit is greater than 1 or the limit does not exist, the series is not absolutely convergent.

5. Are there any limitations to the ratio test for limits?

Yes, there are some limitations to the ratio test for limits. It may not work for series with exponential or trigonometric terms, and it may also give inconclusive results for some series. In addition, the ratio test may be time-consuming and may not always provide a definitive answer for the convergence or divergence of a series.