A question relating to electricity

• Thread starter MAHBRAINHURTS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary: Radiation by the charge does not play a significant role in the problem. The electric potential energy is the only property that changes with distance.
MAHBRAINHURTS
Hi guys, new to the forum so I apologize if I post in the wrong place or something. I'm in an engineering physics II class right now and honestly this material is so hard for me I feel completely overwhelmed (yet sadly I can't get my degree without it). I'm doing some problems right now and have a question on one.

In one problem I'm asked to calculate the speed of a moving electron as it moves towards a charged ring at the point where it reaches the ring, the object is at rest initially and moves towards the ring from some distance. My question with this one is how I take into change in acceleration as it moves closer (if there is an increase in acceleration) to solve it. I guess this is more of a simple kinematics problem, since I can mostly figure out the charge part, but I have a feeling it involves taking an integral of the velocity, and I think I'm making it more complicated than it is.

I might have more questions or find my own solutions so I will edit this thread as needed.

EDIT: I guess this should be moved to the homework forum, sorry. :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right - on two counts. It could be solved by using an integral and some kinematics, and you are making it more complicated than it is. :)

Consider conservation of energy... the initial energy should equal the final energy. The energy contains a velocity term which could presumably be solved for.

Many of these types of physics problems can be solved by kinematics or conservation of energy. When you can, appeal to conservation - its usually easier.

Academic said:
Yes, you are right - on two counts. It could be solved by using an integral and some kinematics, and you are making it more complicated than it is. :)

Where does the radiation by the charge fit into the problem? Is it really just simple kinematics?

If the electron is initially at rest don't you just need to find the electric potential energy at some distance due to the E field from the ring? This is not a terribly horrible thing. If the electron then reaches the middle of the ring (hopefully), then its all kinetic (no Efield in the very center) and v for the electron can be solved for.

The electron would then move past the ring until it reached the same initial position away from the ring but on the other side, and then return. Or am I making this way too simple?

Hi there, welcome to the forum! It's great that you're taking an engineering physics class - it can definitely be challenging, but it's also a very important subject in the field of science and technology.

To answer your question, the change in acceleration as the electron moves closer to the charged ring can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which describes the force between two charged objects. As the distance between the electron and the ring decreases, the force between them will increase, resulting in a change in acceleration.

To solve this problem, you can use the equations of motion (such as v = u + at) to determine the speed of the electron at different points as it moves towards the ring. You can also use the equation F = ma to calculate the force acting on the electron at each point.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to ask more questions or provide updates on your progress. Best of luck with your studies!

1. How does electricity work?

Electricity is the flow of tiny particles called electrons through a conductive material. When a circuit is closed, electrons flow from the negative terminal of a power source, such as a battery, to the positive terminal, creating a current. This flow of electrons can be harnessed to power devices and machines.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity flows in one direction and then reverses, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in only one direction. AC electricity is used in most homes and buildings, while DC electricity is commonly used in smaller devices such as batteries and electronics.

3. How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated in a variety of ways, including through the use of fossil fuels, nuclear energy, and renewable sources such as wind and solar power. In most cases, a turbine is used to convert the energy from these sources into mechanical energy, which is then converted into electricity.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electricity?

The unit of measurement for electricity is the ampere (A), which measures the rate of flow of electric current. Other common units include voltage (volts) and resistance (ohms).

5. How can electricity be dangerous?

Electricity can be dangerous if not handled properly. High voltage electricity can cause electrical shock, which can lead to serious injury or death. It is important to always follow proper safety precautions when working with electricity and to never touch exposed wires or electrical equipment without proper training and protection.