1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Rate of change and a differentials problem

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    First off i'd like to say Hi to the forums, hehe. I didn't really see a new member area but I suppose this will do. Right now I'm kind of struggling with these two problems that I recently took a quiz on and didn't do so well. I've been trying to figure out how to work them out but i just dont really get it. if anyone could help out it'd be awesome.

(1)

The position (in cm) of a particle along the x-axis at time t(in s) is given by X(t) = t^3-6t^2+8t, t is greater than or equal to 0.

the question:
    When is the particle moving to the left? the right?
    Acceleration of the particle when the speed is zero.
    Total distance traveled from t=0 to t=2.

(2)

( and the one that REALLY gets me)
    A person standing 30ft from the base of a building measures the angle of elevation to the top of the building as being 75 degrees with an error of +or- 1.2 degrees.

What is the max error in estimating the height of the building, and the percentage error?

This one has taken me quite a while, I am thinking it has something to do with the law of sines, but when i try it with that method i'm getting a completely unreasonable answer. I kind of have the right idea, i hope, but for some reason i'm just not seeing it.

Thank you in advance for those who wish to take on these.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2
    (1.) Let x' be the first derivative with respect to t, x'' the second.
    a.) Right when x'>0, left when x'<0.
    b.) Find at what time t the velocity x'=0, and then substitute this into x''.
    c.) compute x(2)-x(0)

(2.) If you know the angle of elevation, a, the height of the building is given by
    h = 30ft * tg(a)
    Now the error in your case is given by Delta a = +-1.2 degrees = +- 0.02 radians, and the resulting error in h is:
    [tex]\Delta h = (1+\tan(a)^2) \Delta a [/tex]
    (If you need further explanations on that one, ask.)
    Now you merely need to substitute.
    Good luck!

--------
    Assaf
    Physically Incorrect

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?