A ring with charge Q and radius 'r'

In summary: I,,Summary,In summary, the homework statement says that the maximum value of ##\vec{E}_x## on the axis of a ring charge of radius "r" is at x = \pm \frac{r}{\sqrt{2}}.
squelch
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that ##\vec{E}_x## on the axis of a ring charge [I'm assuming they meant "of charge Q"] of radius "r" has its maximum value at ##x=\pm \frac{r}{\sqrt{2}}##

Homework Equations

Linear charge density ##\lambda=\frac{Q}{2\pi R}##
##dQ=\lambda ds = \frac{Qd\theta}{2\pi}##
##\vec{E}=\frac{KQ}{R^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the distance between an infinitesimal sector of the ring with charge ##dQ## and a point ##P## be ##a##. Then ##a=\sqrt{x^2+r^2}## where r is the radius of the ring. Note that to save some typing, I will use ##a## and ##\sqrt{x^2+r^2}## interchangeably.

Let ##\theta## be the angle formed by a and the x axis, then:
##cos\theta=\frac{x}{a}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+r^2}}## and ##sin\theta=\frac{r}{a}=\frac{r}{\sqrt{x^2+r^2}}##

Now, ##d\vec{E}_y=0##, because all forces in the y-component cancel, leaving ##d\vec{E}_{total}=d\vec{E}_x=d\vec{E}cos\theta##

##\therefore d\vec{E}=\frac{KdQ}{a^2} cos\theta##

Because ##dQ= \frac{Qd\theta}{2\pi}## and ##cos\theta=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+r^2}}##
##d\vec{E}=\frac{KQx}{2\pi a^3}d\theta##

Now, integrating from 0→2∏ to find ##\vec{E}##
$$\vec{E}=\frac{KQx}{2\pi a^3} \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\theta = \frac{KQx}{a^3} = \frac{KQx}{(x^2+r^2)^{3/2}}$$

From here, I'm not sure how to use this to "prove" that ##\vec{E}_x## has a maximum value at ##x=\pm \frac{r}{\sqrt{2}}##

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you go about finding the maximum or minimum of a function of x?

First derivative test?

squelch said:
First derivative test?

You've sort of got the right idea. Set the first derivative w.r.t. x to zero and solve for x. Then test the second derivative at x to see if you've found a maximum or a minimum. It's a Calculus 1 topic.

gneill said:
You've sort of got the right idea. Set the first derivative w.r.t. x to zero and solve for x. Then test the second derivative at x to see if you've found a maximum or a minimum. It's a Calculus 1 topic.

Right, but I don't feel like I have my ##\vec{E}## right. I keep seeing that ##\sqrt{x^2+r^2}## and thinking that I missed that I was supposed to do trig substitution somewhere along the way.

You formula for E is correct. You need to find x where the function ##\frac{x}{(x^2+r^2)^{3/2}}## has its extrema.

ehild

What is the formula for the electric field of a ring with charge Q and radius 'r'?

The formula for the electric field of a ring with charge Q and radius 'r' is E = kQx/(x^2 + r^2)^(3/2), where k is the Coulomb's constant and x is the distance from the center of the ring.

How does the electric field vary with distance from the center of the ring?

The electric field varies inversely with the distance from the center of the ring. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

What is the direction of the electric field at any point on the axis of a ring with charge Q and radius 'r'?

The direction of the electric field at any point on the axis of a ring with charge Q and radius 'r' is perpendicular to the axis and points away from the ring if the point is outside the ring, and towards the ring if the point is inside the ring.

What is the total electric potential at a point on the axis of a ring with charge Q and radius 'r'?

The total electric potential at a point on the axis of a ring with charge Q and radius 'r' is V = kQ/(x * sqrt(x^2 + r^2)), where x is the distance from the center of the ring. The potential is always positive and decreases as the distance from the center increases.

How does the electric potential vary with distance from the center of the ring?

The electric potential varies inversely with the distance from the center of the ring. This means that as the distance increases, the potential decreases. The potential also approaches zero as the distance approaches infinity.