A screen with three slits and 1 gets blocked --> diffraction?

In summary: so far.2a+b for when the middle slit closes. that way everything should scale and the y position of the middle slit blocking will be halfpiece of cake. looks good to me so far.
ElectricEel1

Homework Statement

A screen with three equally spaced slits of the width b and separation a is illuminated at normal incidence with monochromatic light with wavelength lambda. A diffraction pattern is obtained at a distance L on another screen positioned behind the screen with the slits. Calculate and compare the distance between the diffraction maxima with numbers m and m+1 for the cases when either the middle or one of the side slits is blocked. Assume a>>m*lambda

Homework Equations

a*sin(theta)=m*lambda
Y=(m*lambda*L)/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not entirely sure what it is asking me to do but I started by finding the equations I wanted to use then figured the separation for blocking the middle would be 2a+b and the separation for blocking one of the side slits would just be a.

Then I wrote the two cases up and took the difference between the Y at m=2 and m=1 for both. With no values given I'm not sure where to go next just with algebra, I subbed in some values of
a=300 micron b = 10micron L = 10m lambda = 500nm
and got 0.0082m distance in the first case and 0.017m in the second case but I am not sure this is what I'm being asked to do.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ElectricEel1 said:
separation for blocking the middle would be 2a+b
That's not logical if you use a for the side slit blocked case. Usually separation a means from center to center.
Otherwise Ithink you are doing fine. Check with Hyperphysics if in doubt

BvU said:
That's not logical if you use a for the side slit blocked case. Usually separation a means from center to center.
Otherwise Ithink you are doing fine. Check with Hyperphysics if in doubt

its just 2a, right? not 2a+b for when the middle slit closes. that way everything should scale and the y position of the middle slit blocking will be half

piece of cake. looks good to me

What is diffraction?

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when waves encounter an obstacle or opening that is comparable in size to their wavelength. It results in the bending and spreading out of the waves as they pass through or around the obstacle.

How does a screen with three slits and one blocked result in diffraction?

In this setup, the waves pass through the three slits and interfere with each other, creating a pattern of light and dark bands on the screen. When one of the slits is blocked, it changes the interference pattern and causes the waves to diffract, resulting in a different pattern on the screen.

What happens to the diffraction pattern when the blocked slit is opened?

When the previously blocked slit is opened, the diffraction pattern will change again. This is because the waves can now pass through all three slits, resulting in a different interference pattern and diffraction pattern on the screen.

What factors affect the diffraction pattern in this setup?

The size of the slits, the distance between the slits, and the wavelength of the waves are all factors that can affect the diffraction pattern in this setup. Changing any of these parameters can result in a different diffraction pattern on the screen.

What are some real-world applications of this phenomenon?

Diffraction is an important concept in fields such as optics, acoustics, and radio waves. It is used in various technologies, including microscopes, telescopes, and musical instruments. Diffraction also plays a role in the development of new materials and can be used to analyze the structure of crystals and molecules.