A seemingly simple combinatorial problem

• Thread starter tanujkush
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of integral solutions to the equation x1+2x2+3x3+..+pxp=p+1, where p is a positive integer. The conversation also mentions using partition theory to solve this problem, but there are difficulties when placing restrictions on the coefficients. The formula r+p-1Cp-1 is mentioned as a possible solution, but it is pointed out that it does not work for certain values of r.
tanujkush
Hi,

I'm looking to find the number of integral solutions to the equation:

x1+2x2+3x3+..+pxp=p+1

where p is a positive integer.

This problem came about as an effort to solving another problem, which is posted here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=339103

Any help is greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
tanujkush said:
Hi,

I'm looking to find the number of integral solutions to the equation:

x1+2x2+3x3+..+pxp=p+1

where p is a positive integer.

This problem came about as an effort to solving another problem, which is posted here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=339103

Any help is greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advance!

I think that from the earlier problem that you posted, you mean to limit x to a non-negative number; is that correct?
If so you already have the partition theory that treats this problem.

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
I think that from the earlier problem that you posted, you mean to limit x to a non-negative number; is that correct?
If so you already have the partition theory that treats this problem.

Partition theory would tell me ways of representing some integer as a sum of some other integers. But its when I place restrictions like all the even integers must appear even times that I run into troubled waters. These special cases aren't really handled as I suppose they don't submit a closed form solution.

Yes, I mean to limit the x's to non negative integers. But I really haven't been able to solve the above mentioned problem using partition theory or otherwise.

As a starter, here is what I have:

The number of solutions to

x1+x2+...+xp=r

are

r+p-1Cp-1

But what do I do when the coefficients in this equation are not all unity?

tanujkush said:
Partition theory would tell me ways of representing some integer as a sum of some other integers. But its when I place restrictions like all the even integers must appear even times that I run into troubled waters. These special cases aren't really handled as I suppose they don't submit a closed form solution.

Yes, I mean to limit the x's to non negative integers. But I really haven't been able to solve the above mentioned problem using partition theory or otherwise.

x1+x2+...+xp=r

are

r+p-1Cp-1

Since [tex]X_{i}*n = n+n+n+...[/tex] Your answer will be the same as if the coefficients were all unity.

Sum r+p-1Cp-1 for 1<p<r

But for particular [tex]x_i[/tex] if that is what you mean, then I don't see that there is any answer but 1!

Last edited:
See Sloane's http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A000041 . Specifically, the number of solutions in nonnegative integers to
x1+2x2+3x3+..+pxp=p+1
is A000041(p+1) - 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
ramsey2879 said:
Since [tex]X_{i}*n = n+n+n+...[/tex] Your answer will be the same as if the coefficients were all unity.

Sum r+p-1Cp-1 for 1<p<r

But for particular [tex]x_i[/tex] if that is what you mean, then I don't see that there is any answer but 1!

I don't get it , why should the answer be r+p-1Cp-1 , if the coefficients are different .

Consider :
a + b = 5

There are 5 nonnegative integer solutions

Now consider :
a + 2b = 5

the only solutions that a can take are 1,3,5 - only 3 solutions .

srijithju said:
I don't get it , why should the answer be r+p-1Cp-1 , if the coefficients are different .

Consider :
a + b = 5

There are 5 nonnegative integer solutions

Now consider :
a + 2b = 5

the only solutions that a can take are 1,3,5 - only 3 solutions .

Because the [tex]x_i[/tex] are specific to one of the numbers 1,2,3,or4 the sum of the x's goes from 2 to r and is every possible partition with those sums. Thus the total is the sum I gave plus 1 for r 1's which I neglected in my post.

Last edited:
tanujkush said:

x1+x2+...+xp=r

are

r+p-1Cp-1

As an after thought I don't see how your formula works since if p = r then you have

2r-1Cr-1 = 1 for all r. I don't see how that can be.

Did you mean r+p-1C2p-1 ? That also can't be it, through, since Sloan's A000041 gives a different result.

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
Because the [tex]x_i[/tex] are specific to one of the numbers 1,2,3,or4 the sum of the x's goes from 2 to r and is every possible partition with those sums. Thus the total is the sum I gave plus 1 for r 1's which I neglected in my post.

I'm afraid this won't work ramsey, since in finding the number of solutions to the equation
x1+2x2+3x3+...+pxp=p+1,

the two behind x2 represents the fact that the number of times 2 occurs in the sum is multiplied by 2. So if I do x1+x2+x2, I am actually finding solutions that will be non-unique. So for example, in

x1+2x2+3x3=4,

the actual solutions are (4,0,0),(2,1,0),(1,0,1),(0,2,0) which satisfy the equation as well.

If I solve what you are saying instead,

x1+x2+x2+x3+x3+x3=4,

The number of solutions are 4+6-1C6-1=9C5=126 which is clearly wrong, and also, the solutions obtained will include cases where the repeated x2's (say) have different values. So one x2 might be one and the other might be two.

ramsey2879 said:
As an after thought I don't see how your formula works since if p = r then you have

2r-1Cr-1 = 1 for all r. I don't see how that can be.

Did you mean r+p-1C2p-1 ? That also can't be it, through, since Sloan's A000041 gives a different result.

2r-1Cr-1 for r = 3(say) is 2.3-1C3-1=5C2 which is not equal to one.

Thanks for all the inputs though

@ CRGreathouse could you please explain what it is that is mentioned on that link? Is it a library or a derivation or...?

tanujkush said:
@ CRGreathouse could you please explain what it is that is mentioned on that link? Is it a library or a derivation or...?

The link is to an entry in Dr. Neil Sloane's encyclopedia (the OEIS). The sequence you're looking for is one less than the partition number. Methods of calculating it are mentioned in the encyclopedia entry. For example, in Pari/GP, the partition number is numbpart(n).

So the number of nonnegative solutions to a + 2b + ... + 26z = 27 is numbpart(27) - 1 = 3009. The number of solutions to a_1 + 2a_2 + ... + 9999a_9999 = 10000 is numbpart(10000) - 1 = 36167251325636293988820471890953695495016030339315650422081868605887952568754066420592310556052906916435143.

tanujkush said:
I'm afraid this won't work ramsey, since in finding the number of solutions to the equation
x1+2x2+3x3+...+pxp=p+1,

the two behind x2 represents the fact that the number of times 2 occurs in the sum is multiplied by 2. So if I do x1+x2+x2, I am actually finding solutions that will be non-unique. So for example, in

x1+2x2+3x3=4,

the actual solutions are (4,0,0),(2,1,0),(1,0,1),(0,2,0) which satisfy the equation as well.

What I was trying to say was that the sum of the x's for every possible solution range from 2 to r and may be equated to p for that particular solution, For p = 4 the sum of the x's would be 4 and the only solution is (4,0,0) so using your formula, r+p-1Cp-1 for p=r=4 should be 1.

For p = 3 the sum of the x's would be 3 for each possible solution, again there is only one solution, thus according to your formula, 4+3-1C3-1 should also be 1.

For p = 2, the solutions are (1,0,1) and (0,2,0) or 2 solutions so in this case your formula for r = 4 and p = 2 should give 2.

I merely summed these numbers to get an answer that should have been correct if your formula was correct, but my initial formulation omitted the term for r = p.

Now it seems that I may be misinterpreting your formula.

Thanks for all the inputs though
Glad to be of help

1. What is a combinatorial problem?

A combinatorial problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves counting, arranging, or selecting objects or elements in various ways. These problems often involve a finite set of objects and focus on finding the number of possible combinations or arrangements.

2. What makes a combinatorial problem seemingly simple?

A combinatorial problem may seem simple because it often involves a small number of objects or elements, making it easy to visualize and understand. However, the complexity arises when trying to find all possible combinations or arrangements, which can quickly become overwhelming.

3. How do scientists approach solving a combinatorial problem?

Scientists approach solving a combinatorial problem by using various mathematical techniques such as permutations, combinations, and the binomial theorem. They also use algorithms and computer programs to efficiently calculate and enumerate all possible combinations or arrangements.

4. Can real-life problems be modeled as combinatorial problems?

Yes, many real-life problems can be modeled as combinatorial problems. For example, scheduling tasks, designing experiments, and optimizing resources all involve counting or arranging elements in different ways, making them suitable for combinatorial analysis.

5. Are combinatorial problems relevant in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, combinatorial problems have applications in various fields such as computer science, engineering, physics, and biology. They are used to solve problems related to data analysis, optimization, and network design, among others.