A simple calculation that got me stumped.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses how to compute the area of a surface with the equation y^2+z^2=2ax and x is between a and y^2/a. Various methods are suggested, including using polar coordinates and solving for the limits of integration. The conversation also acknowledges that as one progresses in mathematics, it becomes harder to remember concepts from earlier years.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I need to grade some work, and there's an integral to calcaulte:

compute the area of y^2+z^2=2ax where x is between a and y^2/a.

I tried using the coordinates:

[itex]y=\sqrt{2as}\cos(t) \ z=\sqrt{2as}\sin(t) \ x=s[/itex]

But I don't see how to find the limits of integration with respect to s and t.

Thanks.

The higher you get in maths, the less you remember what you learned in earlier years. :-(

Physics news on Phys.org
I rewrite it as [itex]x^2+y^2=2az[/itex] where z is between a and [itex]x^2/a[/itex]. I just renamed the variables: y as x, z as y and x as z (I am more comfortable that way.)

Written explicitly as a function of x, y is [itex]y=\sqrt{2az-x^2}[/itex]. We know the limits, and hence this integral becomes
[tex]\int_{a}^{x^2/a}\sqrt{2az-x^2}dx[/tex]

I think you can go on from there.

solving your own equations says that a ≤ s = x ≤ y^2/a = 2s cos^2(t). That gives s ≥ a.

Then canceling s, from s ≤ 2s cos^2(t), we have

1 ≤ 2cos^2(t), so cos^2(t) ≥ 1/2, so -π/4 ≤ t ≤ π/4.if that open ended inequality for s bothers you, note that your surface is unbounded in the x direction.

I.e. for any x ≥ a >0, it is easy to solve for y such that 2ax ≥ y^2 ≥ ax, and then since 2ax - y^2 ≥ 0,

one can also solve for z such that z^2 = 2ax - y^2, or z^2 + y^2 = 2ax.

Last edited:
Same with me. Your solution puzzles me. I think there is something I am missing in the question.

I changed a mistake in mine. (I canceled s/s and got 0.)

in your integral what does it mean to let x range from a to x^2/a?

Hi MP,

How about this; if [itex]x[/itex] was from 0 to [itex]\frac{y^2}{a}[/itex] then we could use polar coordinates to integrate using the radius value based on θ, so using Pythagoras we have that [itex]cos θ = \frac{y^2}{2ay^{\frac{2}{a}}}[/itex] and therefore [itex]y = (2a\cosθ) ^{\frac{1}{2-\frac{2}{a}}}[/itex] so the squared radius will be

[tex] r(θ)^2 = 2a((2a\cosθ) ^{\frac{1}{2-\frac{2}{a}}})^{\frac{2}{a}} [/tex]

Now we simply polar integrate it from 0 to 2π [itex]\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{2π} r(θ)^2 dθ[/itex] but since [itex]x[/itex] is not from 0 to [itex]\frac{y^2}{a}[/itex] but from [itex]a[/itex] to [itex]\frac{y^2}{a}[/itex] we need to take away that part, so finally we have:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{2π} r(θ)^2 dθ - \frac{1}{2}\int_0^{2π}\min( r(θ)^2 , 2a^2) dθ[/tex]

I didn't thoroughly check it but I think you get the idea.

Last edited:

What is a simple calculation?

A simple calculation is a mathematical process that involves basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

Why did the calculation stump you?

The calculation may have stumped me because it involves a complex problem or concept that I am not familiar with, or because I made a mistake in my calculations.

How can I improve my ability to solve calculations?

Practicing and reviewing basic mathematical concepts and techniques can help improve your ability to solve calculations. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or instructor can provide valuable guidance and support.

What steps should I take when solving a calculation?

The first step in solving a calculation is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the given information and determine which mathematical operations are needed to solve the problem. Finally, perform the necessary calculations and double-check your work for accuracy.

What should I do if I am still stumped after attempting to solve a calculation?

If you are still stumped after attempting to solve a calculation, try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps. You can also seek help from a peer, instructor, or online resources to gain a better understanding of the problem and how to solve it.