1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple diagram of two heat resistors.

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    Here is a problem I have. I need to find the resistors R1 and R2, and here is what I know:

http://triton.imageshack.us/Himg12/scaled.php?server=12&filename=varmalikam.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480 [Broken]

How do I set up the equation? Im really lost.

Please ask, if you are having troubles reading the diagram. The first one is the original one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi KayVee! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Ignore the first diagram.

In the second diagram, you're given the heat and the time and the voltage …

so what is the power?

and so what can you say about R1 and R2?

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    I see that I need to put up my own work/study on the circuit, but now I see that I was going no where :P

So, the power for the paralell is: [tex]P = W / t = 2112kJ / 1200s = 1,76 kW.[/tex]

Then the (sum of the?) paralell resistors: [tex]R = V~2 / P = 220~2 / 1,75 kW = 27500 kOhm.[/tex]

Can I then say that each resistor is 27500 / 2 ?

This pice is kinda hard, since we have had so little about power in school.

5. Mar 26, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi KayVee! :smile:

(why did you use W for energy … that's really confusing :frown:)

(and the LaTeX for squared is ^2 not ~2 … though it's quicker to write, and easier to read, and easier on the PF server, if you just use the X2 tag above the Reply box :wink:)

yes, except I think it's 396 kJ for that diagram
    yes (but it would be better if you stated what formula you're using :wink:)
    Noooo :frown:

you need another equation for R1 and R2 … try the other diagram! :smile:

6. Apr 5, 2009 #5
    Sorry tiny-tim, for the late reply. But I cracked the case :D I found the total ampere for
    the second diagram, and then just setting the information I had in: [tex]U=I*R[/tex].

I knew that the total resistance in the serial diagram var 146,67 Ohm. There is even a simpler way to find the res. for each resistor. Find the total resistance for the paralell and and total for the serial, then set it up in the : [tex](R1 * R2)/(R1 + R2)= Rtotal[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook