A simple equation with simple solution - how to solve it?

• I
  • Thread starter NotEuler
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of solving y as a function of x in an equation involving square roots. The participants propose different methods to solve it, including using trigonometry and algebraic manipulation. Eventually, it is determined that the solution is y = √(1-x^2), with the exception of two points, (1,1) and (-1,-1), which are also valid solutions.
NotEuler
I've been trying to solve y as a function of x in the following equation.
y-x=√(1-x^2)+√(1-y^2)

The equation look pretty simple, and according to Mathematica the solution is simple too: y=√(1-x^2)

The (proposed) solution looks so simple that I would guess there is some fairly straightforward way to get there. But I can't see it.
Is the only way squaring both sides until all roots are eradicated, and then solving whatever mess comes out of that? Or is there perhaps some nicer way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever I see something like [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] I think of [itex]x := \sin \theta[/itex] or [itex]x := \cos \theta[/itex].

Thanks nuuskur. I had a look at your suggestion but still can't really see a way forward. Did you have a specific next step in mind?

I was wondering if symmetry could somehow be taken advantage of.
For example, if we look at the almost identical equation (first - changed to +)
y+x=√(1-x^2)+√(1-y^2)
which does not change in any way if the roles of x and y are reversed.
Does the symmetry of this equation help with solving it?

nuuskur said:
Whenever I see something like [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] I think of [itex]x := \sin \theta[/itex] or [itex]x := \cos \theta[/itex].
I agree. Therefore, let ##x = \sin\theta## and ##y = \sin\phi##, then the equation
$$y-x=\sqrt{1-x^2} + \sqrt{1-y^2}$$
becomes
$$
\begin{align*}
\sin\phi - \sin\theta
&= \sqrt{1-\sin^2\theta} + \sqrt{1-\sin^2\phi} \\
&= \cos\theta + \cos\phi
\end{align*}
$$
or (by the sum-to-product trig identities)
$$ \sin\Big(\frac{\phi-\theta}{2}\Big)\cos\Big(\frac{\phi+\theta}{2}\Big) = \cos\Big(\frac{\phi+\theta}{2}\Big)\cos\Big(\frac{\phi-\theta}{2}\Big)$$
and thus
$$ \tan\Big(\frac{\phi-\theta}{2}\Big) = 1.$$
We can therefore conclude that
$$ \phi - \theta = \frac{\pi}{2} + 2n\pi,\quad n\in\mathbb{Z}$$
and consequently that
$$
\begin{align*}
y &= \sin\phi \\
&= \sin\big(\theta + \frac{\pi}{2} + 2n\pi\Big) \\
&= \sin\big(\theta + \frac{\pi}{2}\Big) \\
&= \cos\theta \\
&= \pm\sqrt{1-\sin^2\theta} \\
&= \pm\sqrt{1-x^2}.
\end{align*}
$$

UPDATE
We have to be a little more carefull. Further considerations leads us to the conclusion that
$$ y = \sqrt{1-x^2},$$
if and only if ##-1\leq x\leq 0##, is the only real solution to the original equation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Delta2, Charles Link, mfb and 2 others
An alternative without trigonometry:
##y-x=\sqrt{1-x^2}+\sqrt{1-y^2}##
##y-x-\sqrt{1-x^2}=\sqrt{1-y^2}##
square
##y^2+x^2+(1-x^2) - 2xy - 2y\sqrt{1-x^2} +2x\sqrt{1-x^2} = 1-y^2##
collect equal terms:
##2y^2 - 2xy - 2y\sqrt{1-x^2} +2x\sqrt{1-x^2} = 0##
simplify more:
##y^2 + y(-x-\sqrt{1-x^2}) +x\sqrt{1-x^2} = 0##
You can solve it like a regular quadratic equation from here on, but remember that the absolute term is the product of the two roots while the linear term is the negative sum of them. And that's exactly the pattern we have here so we can just read off the two intermediate solutions:
##y=x##
##y=\sqrt{1-x^2}##
Plugging these back into the original equation tells us that y=x is not a solution (it was added by squaring the equation), but the other one is real.

Likes archaic and Charles Link
Thanks for your input everyone. Very happy to see there are at least two reasonably 'clean' ways to solve it.

I originally tried something similar to mfb's solution, but I think my mistake was having both square roots on one side and the other terms on the other side. Seems it's much better to move √(1-y^2) to one side and everything else to the other, and proceed from there.

I got a solution by grouping the x terms on one side, and the y terms on the other, and squaring both sides twice. The result, after one algebraic step is ##y^2-x^2=y^4-x^4=(y^2-x^2)(y^2+x^2) ##. One solution that emerges is ## x^2+y^2=1 ##, which is the same solution found by the others above. Further analysis, as in the Update in post 5, shows the unit circle in the second quadrant is indeed the solution, with the other quadrants failing to satisfy the original equation.

Likes Delta2 and hutchphd
Taking mfb's suggestion:$$y-\sqrt{1-y^2}=x+\sqrt{1-x^2}$$Squaring both sides and cancelling terms,$$-y\sqrt{1-y^2}=x\sqrt{1-x^2}$$Squaring both sides leads to,$$y^4-y^2+x(1-x^2)=0$$$$y^2=\frac{1}{2}\pm \sqrt{x^4-x^2+\frac{1}{4}}$$observe$$x^4-x^2+\frac{1}{4}=(x^2-\frac{1}{2})^2$$ and so,$$y^2=\frac{1}{2}\pm( x^2-\frac{1}{2})$$$$y=\pm \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}\pm( x^2-\frac{1}{2})}$$Plugging these four roots into the original equation we find that the equation is only satisfied at the four points ##(1,1)##, ##(-1,-1)##, ##(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})##, ##(-1,0)##.

Likes Delta2
Perhaps I am missing something, but from what I could determine, the solution ## x^2+y^2=1 ## will hold anywhere in the second quadrant. It will not work for the points (1,1) and (-1,-1) which come from ## y=x ## and are extraneous.
Edit: I must be missing something, because I see that these two points do indeed work. Perhaps @Fred Wright has found something.
Suggestion: Try doing a graphical solution= graph ## z =y-\sqrt{1-y^2} ## vs. ##y ##, and ##z=x+\sqrt{1-x^2} ## vs. ##x ##, with common ##x ## and ## y ## on the abscissa, and see where points exist where the z's are equal. It appears our solutions may be correct, and that ## (1,1) ## and ## (-1,-1) ## also work as graphical oddities. (if you sketch the graphs, you should see why I called it a graphical oddity).

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and mfb
Charles Link said:
Perhaps I am missing something, but from what I could determine, the solution ## x^2+y^2=1 ## will hold anywhere in the second quadrant.
Your absolutely correct, Charles. I'm embarrassed and have no excuse for my stupid four points nonsense except for a possible lapse into dementia.

Still a plus for you @Fred Wright =You spotted two points that the rest of us missed. It sent me back to the drawing board, and the graphs show how those two points ##(1,1) ## and ## (-1,-1) ## get in there.

@QuantumQuest @fresh_42 This is kind of a rather interesting math problem. It might be a good high school problem for a challenge 6 months from now. :)

1. What is a simple equation?

A simple equation is a mathematical statement that contains an equal sign and two expressions on either side. It represents the relationship between two quantities and can be solved to find the value of an unknown variable.

2. What is a simple solution?

A simple solution is the value of the unknown variable that makes the equation true. It is the answer to the equation and can be found by following the correct steps to solve the equation.

3. How do I solve a simple equation?

To solve a simple equation, you need to follow the order of operations and use inverse operations to isolate the unknown variable. This means performing the same operation on both sides of the equation to simplify and eventually find the value of the unknown variable.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a simple equation?

Some common mistakes when solving a simple equation include not following the correct order of operations, forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to double check your work and be careful with your calculations.

5. Can a simple equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a simple equation can have more than one solution. This is known as an infinite solution, where any value for the unknown variable will make the equation true. However, some simple equations may have no solution, meaning there is no value for the unknown variable that will make the equation true.