Basic Algebra Simplifying a complex fraction

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying an engineering transfer function (C/R) and checking if the resulting expression is correct. The question is whether the expression is simplified enough and if a smiley in the expression should be considered. The final summary also includes a mention of the original question and accompanying images.
Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify
[tex] C = \frac{62.5}{(x+3)(x+4)} [/tex]
and
[tex] R = 1 + \frac{0.625}{(x+3)(x+4)} + \frac{7}{(x+3)}[/tex]

?

JHamm said:
Just to clarify
[tex] C = \frac{62.5}{(x+3)(x+4)} [/tex]
and
[tex] R = 1 + \frac{0.625}{(x+3)(x+4)} + \frac{7}{(x+3)}[/tex]

?

I don't know, I only know what I'm trying to solve not other suppositions

Then I guess the question is: what are you trying to do?

In the last line, I don't really see why you don't simplify by eliminating (x+3)(x+4).

How does the smiley factor in? :smile:

Btw, it looks right, but it would be nice if you wrote things down a bit neater.
And you can simplify it further as micro suggested.

Then I guess the question is: what are you trying to do?

Well, I just have a engineering transfer (C/R) function that I'm looking to simplify. as per title :smile: .

The question is "am I right so far?" , basically. Just checking I didn't do a math error.

In the last line, I don't really see why you don't simplify by eliminating (x+3)(x+4).

True! I did, and went on to simplify ...
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1011/cr2b.jpg

Can I simplifiy it even more?

How does the smiley factor in?

Smilies are an intensively complex algorithmic field of math. I don't even want to get into it. Plus, somehow all my results to that end up in a frowny face :(

You can consider this smiley as a stray. Deviating from another exercise. Sneaky little bastard..

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you just multiply out the brackets under the division line to get
X^2 + 14x + 40.625 as the denominator

Can't you just multiply out the brackets under the division line to get
X^2 + 14x + 40.625 as the denominator

Thing is I'm not sure if I'll consider having a power of 2 in my equation all that simplified?

Femme_physics said:
Smilies are an intensively complex algorithmic field of math. I don't even want to get into it. Plus, somehow all my results to that end up in a frowny face :(

You can consider this smiley as a stray. Deviating from another exercise. Sneaky little bastard..

pknn17l.jpg

i like serena said:
pknn17l.jpg

rofl!

Femme_physics said:
This problem comes from an engineering exercise (hence the C/R which you can ignore). I want to see if I got it right.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3989/mama1h.jpg
I hate to butt in, because I know that you and I like Serena have developed a rapport .

What is the expression you are starting with?

Is it :
[itex]\displaystyle\frac{C}{R}=\frac{\displaystyle\frac{62.5}{(x+3)(x+4)}}{\displaystyle 1 + \frac{0.625}{(x+3)(x+4)} + \frac{7}{(x+3)}}\ \ ?[/itex]​

Last edited by a moderator:
That result looks right, with or without the smiley.

Thanks!

1. What is a complex fraction?

A complex fraction is a fraction where either the numerator or denominator, or both, contain fractions themselves. For example, 3/4 is a simple fraction, while (3/4)/(5/6) is a complex fraction.

2. How do I simplify a complex fraction?

To simplify a complex fraction, you must first factor the numerator and denominator completely. Then, cancel out any common factors between the numerator and denominator. Finally, multiply the remaining factors together to get the simplified form of the complex fraction.

3. Can I simplify a complex fraction with variables?

Yes, you can simplify a complex fraction with variables using the same steps as simplifying a fraction with numbers. Make sure to look for common factors in the numerator and denominator that can be canceled out.

4. What is the difference between simplifying and solving a complex fraction?

Simplifying a complex fraction involves reducing the fraction to its simplest form, while solving a complex fraction involves finding the value of the fraction by substituting values for the variables in the numerator and denominator.

5. Why is it important to simplify complex fractions?

Simplifying complex fractions makes them easier to work with and understand. It also helps to identify any errors in the original expression and can make solving equations involving complex fractions more manageable.