Math Course Suggestions for Graduating with Honors

• Thread starter p53ud0 dr34m5
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has recently completed Calculus BC AP and is seeking advice on what math course to take next. Suggestions are given for Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, and Algebra. The speaker expresses interest in Real Analysis and will speak to their BC teacher for further guidance.
p53ud0 dr34m5
i just finished calculus bc ap at my school, and i have no more math classes to take there; i need all 4 years of math to graduate with honors :confused: . I am planning on taking a college course in math next year, but i don't know what math course to take. i was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on the next step in my acquisition for math knowledge. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest either of the following: Linear Algebra (the easiest), Real analysis (if you feel courageous) or Algebra (aka Abstract Algebra).

P.S. There is a sub-forum here called Academic and Career guidance where I think this post belongs. (But don't repost it there, the moderators will move it themselves if the feel the need)

Last edited:
what type of problems are involved in real analysis and abstract algebra?

hehe, guess the wrong section to post this...moderators feel free to move it :smile:

In real analysis, you will relearn everything you've learn in calculus but you'll learn calculus the way it really is. i.e. with everything expressed through the rigourous notion of limits. Almost every problem you'll have to solve start with "show that..." :wink: Subject of study are sequences, limits, functions, differentiability, numerical series, and maybe a small intro to topology.

Algebra is what is behind linear algebra (though you can take linear algebra w/o knowing any algebra). You start with sets, define functions rigorously, then have fun with groups and rings (though you probably won't touch rings in a 1 semester course) which are sets with specific proprieties.

Last edited:
im always looking for a challenge, so i think ill challenge myself with real analysis. the description you provided makes it seem like calculus with proofs. that ought to be fun :rofl: . ill talk to my bc teacher and see what she thinks. thanks quasar987 :wink: .

no problem mate. :biggrin:

1. What courses should I take to graduate with honors in math?

The specific courses required for graduating with honors in math vary depending on the university and program. However, common requirements include advanced calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. It is important to consult with your academic advisor for specific course recommendations.

2. How many math courses do I need to take to graduate with honors?

Again, the number of required math courses for graduating with honors varies. Generally, it is recommended to take at least 4-6 upper-level math courses, with a mix of theory and applied courses. This will demonstrate a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and their practical applications.

3. Can I take courses outside of the math department for my honors program?

Some universities may allow students to take a limited number of courses outside of the math department for their honors program. However, these courses should still have a strong mathematical component and be approved by your academic advisor.

4. Is it necessary to take graduate-level courses for graduating with honors in math?

Taking graduate-level courses can certainly enhance your understanding and preparation for advanced mathematics, but it is not always necessary for graduating with honors. As long as you have completed the required upper-level math courses and maintained a high GPA, you can still graduate with honors.

5. Can I still graduate with honors if I struggle in one or two math courses?

The requirements for graduating with honors in math often include a minimum GPA in all math courses. If you struggle in a specific course, it is important to seek help and improve your understanding to maintain a high GPA. However, one or two lower grades may not necessarily disqualify you from graduating with honors, depending on the requirements of your program.