1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A solved problem from Griffiths creats problem

1. Nov 30, 2006 #1
    A solved problem from Griffiths creats problem.It requires some discussion...It asks to find vector potential of an infinite solenoid with n turns per unit length radius R and current I.
    Griffiths correlates integral form of Ampere's law to [closed integral of A.dl=surface integarl B.da].I can find A from this, with B=(mu)nI,uniform axial field and A circumferential.
    But Griffiths says something here which I cannot understand.Quoting him,"The present problem (with a uniform magnetic field (mu)nI inside the solenoid and no field outside) is analogous to the Ampere's law problem of a fat wire carrying a uniformly distributed current.The vector potential is 'circumferential' (it mimics the magnetic field of the wire)."
    As it appears, Griffiths is talking about the case where a fat wire is carrying a line current.In this case, magnetiv field is circumferential...But what is its justification?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2006 #2
    Try solving the problem for starts. What's the magnetic field for such a wire? Hint: you can still use Ampere's law for it.

Also, it would be very helpful if you took at look at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997 It makes reading posts with math infinitely easier, and if you're going to be a physicist, you're going to have to learn LaTeX sooner or later, anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook