A steel shuttle is pulled along a rail, what is its initial acceleration?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the initial acceleration of a 760g steel shuttle being pulled by an elastic cord with a 25N tension at a 45-degree angle. The first attempt using F/m = a did not work, so the person tried to find the x component of acceleration, but this also did not work. The conversation then mentions the possibility of friction and the formula for calculating friction between steel and steel (u = 0.8). Finally, the correct formula for finding the acceleration is given as 25cos(45) - .8 * .76 * 9.8.
potatotimer
Homework Statement
Question: a machine has a 760g steel shuttle that is pulled along a square steel rail by an elastic cord. the shuttle is released when the cord has a 25N tension at a 45-degree angle what is initial acceleration?
Relevant Equations
F = ma or F/m = a
it sounds like you just need to use F/m = a which gives 25 / .76 = 32.89 = a
this didn't work so I tried to get the x component of acceleration so I did 32.89cos(45) = 23.26 and this didn't work.

what am I missing, the force is tension right so it should be 25N?

Physics news on Phys.org
potatotimer said:
Homework Statement:: Question: a machine has a 760g steel shuttle that is pulled along a square steel rail by an elastic cord. the shuttle is released when the cord has a 25N tension at a 45-degree angle what is initial acceleration?
Relevant Equations:: F = ma or F/m = a

it sounds like you just need to use F/m = a which gives 25 / .76 = 32.89 = a
this didn't work so I tried to get the x component of acceleration so I did 32.89cos(45) = 23.26 and this didn't work.

what am I missing, the force is tension right so it should be 25N?
Two possibilities come to mind. First, have you rounded to an appropriate number of significant figures? Second, have you been studying friction and, if so, would the friction of steel on steel come into play?

jbriggs444 said:
Two possibilities come to mind. First, have you rounded to an appropriate number of significant figures? Second, have you been studying friction and, if so, would the friction of steel on steel come into play?
yeah its friction
rereading made me realize that friction does need to be considered which for a steel on steel collision u = 0.8
so the acceleration is 25cos(45) - .8*.76*9.8
thanks for the help :)

potatotimer said:
- .8*.76*9.8
Two errors in there.

1. What is a steel shuttle and how does it move along a rail?

A steel shuttle is a small, rectangular-shaped object made of steel that is designed to move along a rail. The rail is a long, narrow track that is typically made of metal or other durable materials. The shuttle moves along the rail by using a pulling force, such as a motor or a person's hand.

2. What is initial acceleration and why is it important?

Initial acceleration is the rate at which the steel shuttle's velocity changes over time as it begins to move along the rail. It is important because it determines how quickly the shuttle will reach its maximum speed and how much force is needed to get it moving.

3. How is the initial acceleration of a steel shuttle calculated?

The initial acceleration of a steel shuttle can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the pulling force, and m is the mass of the shuttle. This formula is based on Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

4. What factors can affect the initial acceleration of a steel shuttle?

The initial acceleration of a steel shuttle can be affected by several factors, including the pulling force, the mass of the shuttle, and the friction between the shuttle and the rail. Other factors that may play a role include the incline of the rail, air resistance, and any external forces acting on the shuttle.

5. How can the initial acceleration of a steel shuttle be increased?

The initial acceleration of a steel shuttle can be increased by increasing the pulling force, reducing the mass of the shuttle, or decreasing the friction between the shuttle and the rail. In some cases, adjusting the incline of the rail or reducing air resistance can also help to increase the initial acceleration. However, it is important to note that there may be limits to how much the acceleration can be increased due to factors such as the strength of the materials and the laws of physics.