Solve Strange Function: Find the Equation

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help from math experts to figure out the equation of a strange function that passes through a set of coordinates. After some suggestions and attempts, it is determined that the function can be represented by using a combination of a diagonal ascending function and an oscillating function. The person thanks everyone for their help in solving the problem.
mubashirmansoor
A strange function...

Last night I was faced with a strange function & I couldn't figure out the equation of the function hence I thought I can get some help from the math experts over here...

The function passes through these cordinates:

(3,1) (4,1) (5,2) (6,2) (7,3) (8,3) (9,4) (10,4) .....
it's logicallt very simple to predict it's next terms but I still couldn't find the equation...

I'd be really really glad if someone would help me figure this out...
Tahnks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mubashirmansoor said:
Last night I was faced with a strange function & I couldn't figure out the equation of the function hence I thought I can get some help from the math experts over here...

The function passes through these cordinates:

(3,1) (4,1) (5,2) (6,2) (7,3) (8,3) (9,4) (10,4) .....
it's logicallt very simple to predict it's next terms but I still couldn't find the equation...

I'd be really really glad if someone would help me figure this out...
Tahnks.

add two functions. a diagonal ascending one like y = x/2, and an oscilating one like sin. fiddle with coefficients to get it right

You may want to investigate this: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LagrangeInterpolatingPolynomial.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
radou said:
You may want to investigate this: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LagrangeInterpolatingPolynomial.html" .
trouble with that is it covers a finite number of points. the sequence in the post is infinite

i reckon (2x - 3 - Cos[Pi x])/4 will do it. Cos taking radian arguments. silly errors aside

Last edited by a moderator:
Try using the floor function:

[tex]\left(x, \lfloor \frac{1}{2}\left( x-1 \right) \rfloor \right)[/tex]

That is the function might look like this:

[tex]f: [3,\infty) \rightarrow \Re; x \mapsto \lfloor \frac{1}{2}\left(x-1\right) \rfloor [/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks from everybody who posted.
The problem is solved & you were all a great help
Once again Thankyou...

1. What is a strange function?

A strange function is a mathematical function that exhibits unusual or unexpected behavior, often due to its complex or non-linear nature. These functions may have multiple solutions, or no solutions at all.

2. How do you find the equation for a strange function?

Finding the equation for a strange function can be challenging and may require advanced mathematical techniques. One approach is to analyze the function's behavior and identify key features, such as its domain, range, and critical points. These can then be used to construct an equation that fits the observed pattern.

3. Can all strange functions be solved?

Not all strange functions can be solved using traditional methods. Some may have solutions that cannot be expressed in terms of familiar mathematical functions, while others may have infinitely many solutions. In some cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to find an approximate solution.

4. What are some common examples of strange functions?

Some common examples of strange functions include fractals, chaotic systems, and transcendental functions such as the Riemann zeta function. These functions often exhibit complex and unpredictable behavior, making them difficult to solve and understand.

5. How can solving strange functions be useful?

Solving strange functions can have many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. These functions often model real-world phenomena that cannot be described by simple equations, allowing researchers to gain a better understanding of complex systems and make more accurate predictions.