A system has non-degenerate energy levels with energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Eats Dirt
Messages
91
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A system has non-degenerate energy levels with energy[tex]\epsilon=(n+1/2)\hbar\omega[/tex] where h-bar*omega=1.4*10^-23J and n positive integer zero what is the probability that it is in n=1 state with a heat bath of temperature 1K

Homework Equations


[tex] Z=\exp^\frac{-E_i}{k_b T} \\<br /> p_r=\frac{\exp^\frac{-E_i}{k_b T}}{\sum^N_j \exp^\frac{-E_j}{k_b T}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not really sure what to do now, I don't know how to sum the total number of states to get the fraction of states in the n=1 state
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The sum is a sum over q^i for some q<1, this has an analytic result. You can just plug in all values and calculate the result.
 
Ok I think I might have gotten it, to deal with the infinite sum use a geometric series,

[tex] <br /> \sum_0^\inf e^\frac{-(n+\frac{1}{2})}{k_b T} \\<br /> <br /> =e^\frac{-\hbar\omega}{2k_b T}\sum_0^\inf e^\frac{-n}{k_b T}\\<br /> <br /> =\frac{e^\frac{-\hbar\omega}{2k_b T}}{1-e^\frac{-\hbar\omega}{k_b T}<br /> [/tex]

then evaluate using the pr as stated before.

Also I don't know why my LaTeX is not displaying correctly.