Finding avg. energy of a canonical system

In summary, the conversation discusses the Boltzmann Distribution and the probability of a system being in a certain microstate. It is assumed that the system is in contact with a heat reservoir and its temperature remains constant. The formula for calculating the probability of a specific microstate is mentioned, as well as the formula for finding the average energy of the system. The correctness of the information is confirmed by the end of the conversation.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-9-13_15-55-33.png

2. Homework Equations [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I think , in the question, it is assumed that the system is in contact with a heat reservoir so that its temperature remains constant.
There are n microstates corresponding to the system.
The probability that the system is in the i#_th # microstate is given by Boltzmann Distribution.
##P(E_i) = \frac {e^\frac{- E_i} {k_B T}}{\Sigma_i e^\frac{- E_i} {k_B T}}##
##<E> = \Sigma P(E_i) E_i##
Is this correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
Is this correct so far?
Yes.

Thank you.

What is a canonical system?

A canonical system is a thermodynamic system that is in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings, meaning that the system's temperature remains constant. It is often used in statistical mechanics to study the behavior of large systems.

How is the average energy of a canonical system calculated?

The average energy of a canonical system is calculated using the Boltzmann distribution, which takes into account the different energy levels of the system and the probability of each energy level occurring at a given temperature. It is calculated by summing the product of the energy levels and their respective probabilities.

Why is the average energy of a canonical system important?

The average energy of a canonical system is important because it provides insight into the thermodynamic properties of the system, such as its heat capacity and entropy. It also allows for the prediction of the system's behavior under different conditions.

How does the average energy of a canonical system change with temperature?

As the temperature of a canonical system increases, the average energy also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, there is a greater probability of the system occupying higher energy levels. This relationship is described by the Boltzmann distribution.

Can the average energy of a canonical system be measured experimentally?

Yes, the average energy of a canonical system can be measured experimentally by using techniques such as calorimetry or spectroscopy. These methods allow for the determination of the system's energy levels and their respective probabilities, which can then be used to calculate the average energy.