A system of 1st order diffy q's

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation revolves around transforming a given initial value problem into a coupled initial value problem for two first order equations. The attempt at a solution involves using the variables x1 and x2, with x2 being the derivative of x1. The initial value part is not fully understood and the professor has not provided any examples. However, the problem has been solved by changing the u(t) equation into a coupled initial value problem using x1(t) and x2(t).
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Transform the given initial value problem into an initial value problem for the first two first order equations.

u'' + .25u' + 4u = 2cos(3t), u(0)=1, u'(0)=-2

Homework Equations

Nothing, really.

The Attempt at a Solution

x1=u , x2=u' => x2' = -.25x2 -4x1 + 2cos(3t); x1'=x2

There's the system. I don't understand the initial value part, though; and my professor didn't do any examples.

I know x1 and x2 are functions of t, so the second equation is saying that the derivative of x1 is x2, and x1'(0)=x2(0)=-2; x1(0)=1. Where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamin2112 said:

Homework Statement

Transform the given initial value problem into an initial value problem for the first two first order equations.

u'' + .25u' + 4u = 2cos(3t), u(0)=1, u'(0)=-2

Homework Equations

Nothing, really.

The Attempt at a Solution

x1=u , x2=u' => x2' = -.25x2 -4x1 + 2cos(3t); x1'=x2

There's the system. I don't understand the initial value part, though; and my professor didn't do any examples.

I know x1 and x2 are functions of t, so the second equation is saying that the derivative of x1 is x2, and x1'(0)=x2(0)=-2; x1(0)=1. Where do I go from here?

You don't go anywhere from there. The problem asked to change the u(t) equation into a coupled initial value problem for two first order equations. I think you did that with your x1(t) and x2(t).

Dick said:
You don't go anywhere from there. The problem asked to change the u(t) equation into a coupled initial value problem for two first order equations. I think you did that with your x1(t) and x2(t).

I didn't read the problem! Hahaha!

Jamin2112 said:
I didn't read the problem! Hahaha!
If all else fails, read the instructions:smile:

What is a system of 1st order differential equations?

A system of 1st order differential equations is a set of equations that describe the relationship between one or more variables and their rates of change over time. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and understand complex systems.

What are the components of a system of 1st order differential equations?

A system of 1st order differential equations consists of one or more dependent variables, their respective rates of change, and one or more independent variables. The dependent variables represent the quantities being studied, while the independent variables represent the factors that influence the rates of change of the dependent variables.

What is the purpose of solving a system of 1st order differential equations?

The main purpose of solving a system of 1st order differential equations is to obtain a mathematical model that accurately describes the behavior of a system over time. This allows scientists to predict and understand how the system will evolve under different conditions.

How do you solve a system of 1st order differential equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of 1st order differential equations, including analytical methods such as separation of variables and substitution, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy.

What are some real-world applications of systems of 1st order differential equations?

Systems of 1st order differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and understand the behavior of complex systems, including population dynamics, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.