• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

A system of 1st order diffy q's

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Transform the given initial value problem into an initial value problem for the first two first order equations.

u'' + .25u' + 4u = 2cos(3t), u(0)=1, u'(0)=-2

Homework Equations

Nothing, really.

The Attempt at a Solution

x1=u , x2=u' => x2' = -.25x2 -4x1 + 2cos(3t); x1'=x2

There's the system. I don't understand the initial value part, though; and my professor didn't do any examples.

I know x1 and x2 are functions of t, so the second equation is saying that the derivative of x1 is x2, and x1'(0)=x2(0)=-2; x1(0)=1. Where do I go from here?

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Transform the given initial value problem into an initial value problem for the first two first order equations.

u'' + .25u' + 4u = 2cos(3t), u(0)=1, u'(0)=-2

Homework Equations

Nothing, really.

The Attempt at a Solution

x1=u , x2=u' => x2' = -.25x2 -4x1 + 2cos(3t); x1'=x2

There's the system. I don't understand the initial value part, though; and my professor didn't do any examples.

I know x1 and x2 are functions of t, so the second equation is saying that the derivative of x1 is x2, and x1'(0)=x2(0)=-2; x1(0)=1. Where do I go from here?
You don't go anywhere from there. The problem asked to change the u(t) equation into a coupled initial value problem for two first order equations. I think you did that with your x1(t) and x2(t).

You don't go anywhere from there. The problem asked to change the u(t) equation into a coupled initial value problem for two first order equations. I think you did that with your x1(t) and x2(t).
I didn't read the problem! Hahaha!

I didn't read the problem! Hahaha!
If all else fails, read the instructions:smile: