1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A tape,pulley,disk and undisclosed mass.

1. May 16, 2007 #1
    the question is:
    A disk of mass M and radius R unwinds from a tape wrapped around it. the tape passes over a frictionless pulley, and a mass m is suspended from the other end. assume that the disk drops vertically.
    1. relate the acclerations of m and the disk, a and A, respectively to the angualr accelration of the disk.
    (the answer clue reveals that the naswer is: if A=2a, then alpha=3A/R.
    my answer is that the accleration of the disk equals -a+[tex]\alpha[/tex]R=A and then i get that if A=2a then alpha equals 3a/R, but it's the opposite it should be 3A/R, which i don't see how to arrive at this.

anyway, in the attached file there's a pic of this, the above left pic.
    thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2007 #2
    I dunno if I'm doing this wrong, but this is what I get:

Let the tension in the string be T, acceleration of the disk be A and of the mass be a and R be the radius of the disk.

For the small mass m:

T-mg=ma ---1

For the disk:

Mg-T=MA

[tex]TR=I\alpha[/tex]

[tex]I=\frac{MR^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]A=R\alpha[/tex]

Solving these, A=2g/3, T=g/3, [tex]a=\frac{g(M-3m)}{3m}[/tex]. What did I do wrong?

4. May 16, 2007 #3
    the problem is that it's not given to you that the disk rolls without slippering, if it were so, then obviously we would have A=R*(alpha).

5. May 18, 2007 #4
    But if the rope is wound tightly across the disk, then it must roll without slipping as there is no other option. It cant slip (across what?). Therefore a=r(alpha) must hold.

6. May 18, 2007 #5
    In any case, the velocity of the string along the tension must be the same at all the points on the string.

7. May 21, 2007 #6
    the problem is that's not a string but a tape!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?