What is the Time to Pivot the Rod with a Spinning Disk?

In summary, a rod of length 20 m and mass 50 kg is pivoted vertically about a point where it intersects a wall. A massless pulley is affixed to the wall 10 m above the rod, and a cable is attached to the rod and a disk of mass 20 kg and radius 50 cm on the wall. The cable is pulled by turning the disk, and has a tension of 693 N. The second part of the question asks how long it will take for the rod to pivot from horizontal to vertical if the disk spins at 60 rpm. However, this does not seem possible as the disk would have a constant velocity and no angular acceleration. More information or clarification is needed to solve this part
Michael Dennis

Homework Statement

A rod of length L = 20 m and mass m = 50 kg juts out perpendicular to a wall. The rod is designed to pivot vertically about the point where it intersects the wall. A massless pulley is affixed to the wall a height h = 10 m above the rod. A cable is attached to the rod a distance d = h from the wall-rod intersection. The cable slides over the pulley without friction and attaches at the other end to a disk of mass m = 20 kg and radius r = 50 cm on the wall next to the rod. The cable is pulled by turning this disk.
https://postimg.org/image/7kjejemmj/
In the first Part of the question, I determined the Tension of the cable to be 693 N.
I Cant figure out the second part of the question:

"If the disk spins at 60 rpm, how long will it take to pivot the rod from horizontal to vertical?"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to Solve for time using w= w0 + at
First I found inertia using the equation: 1/2 mR^2 > I= 2.5
Then I found alpha using: T=a*I=F*r > a= 138.6
I plug these number into the equation (60 rpm = 6.283 rad/s): 6.283= 0 +138.6*t > T=0.04 [/B]
This number for time does not seem possible. What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a picture of the figure that you can post? It looks like maybe you tried to, but it didn't come through.

Also, could you please post the first question as it is worded.

For the second question, it says the disk spins at 60 rpm. That sounds like a constant velocity? If so, then there should be no angular acceleration. But I don't feel like I have a complete understanding of the problem.

How fast does the cable move, in cm/s?

What is the definition of tension in a pulley system?

Tension in a pulley system refers to the force that is transmitted through a rope, cable, or other object when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is a measure of the stretching or pulling force exerted by the object.

How is tension calculated in a pulley system?

Tension in a pulley system can be calculated using the formula T = (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)g, where T is the total tension, m is the mass of each object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the rope or cable is inelastic and that the pulleys are frictionless.

What factors affect the tension in a pulley system?

The tension in a pulley system is affected by several factors, including the weight of the objects being lifted, the number of pulleys used, the angle of the rope or cable, and the type of pulley (fixed or movable). In addition, any friction or elasticity in the rope or cable can also affect the tension.

How does the number of pulleys affect the tension in a pulley system?

The number of pulleys used in a pulley system can affect the tension by either increasing or decreasing it. Generally, more pulleys will result in a lower tension, making it easier to lift heavy objects. This is because the tension is distributed among multiple ropes or cables, reducing the force needed to lift the load.

What is the difference between the tension in a fixed pulley system and a movable pulley system?

In a fixed pulley system, the tension remains constant throughout the system, while in a movable pulley system, the tension is split between the two ends of the rope or cable. This means that the tension in a movable pulley system will be half of the total weight being lifted, making it easier to lift the load compared to a fixed pulley system.