1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A thermal physics question about steam and coffee, please could you help?

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A coffee machine in a café passes steam at 100°C into 0.18kg of cold coffee (s.h.c. the same as that of water(4200j/kg/K)) to warm it. If the initial temperature of the coffee is 14°C, what mass of steam must be supplied to raise the temperature of the coffee to 85°C

2. Relevant equations
    E = mcΔθ
    possibly E = ml ????

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have thought.
    E = mcΔθ
    = (0.18)(4200)(71)
    = 53676J
    so 53676J of energy is needed to increase the temperature of the cold coffee from 14°C to 85°C

OK so the steam is at 100°C so it is at 373.15K
    how can I use the temperature of the steam to find out how much steam would be needed to increase the temperature of the cold coffee to 85°C?
    Would the steam need to be condensed?
    How could i go about finding out how much energy a unit of mass of steam would have?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2
    Yes, you need to condense the steam. Look up the heat of vaporization of water at its normal boiling point 100C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook