A tree with at least 2 vertices has at least 2 leaves

• Thread starter Jcampuzano2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tree
In summary, using the base case and inductive hypothesis, we can show that a tree with n = 2 vertices has at least 2 leaves. However, for the inductive step, instead of considering vertices with degree 2, we can show that there must be at least one leaf in any tree. This can then be used to prove that a tree with n+1 vertices also has at least 2 leaves. Therefore, by induction, we can conclude that any tree with n≥2 vertices has at least two leaves.
Jcampuzano2

Homework Statement

Prove by induction:
A tree with n≥2 vertices has at least two leaves.

Homework Equations

A tree is a graph in which any vertices are connected by exactly 1 simple path, connected and has no cycles.

A leaf is a vertex with degree = 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to prove by induction, so I used the following steps so far:

Base case: Let n = 2 vertices, then the vertices can be labeled as v1 and v2, and there is exactly 1 edge connecting the two vertices. Since there is only 1 edge, both v1 and v2 have degree 1, therefore v1 and v2 are leaves.

Inductive hypothesis: Let's assume that for any tree with n = k vertices that the statement holds, that is, the tree has at least 2 leaves.

Inductive step: This is where I was having trouble thinking of a solution that works? I was thinking that maybe I could do something like, every vertex with degree 2 can be deleted, thus the two vertices connecting to it will now be connected, and this can be followed until the tree is down to only leaves and vertices of degree > 2. but I didn't think that made much sense.

Or something along the lines of there must be at least 2 vertices with only 1 path leading to the next vertex? I'm kind of stuck at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you first show there is at least one leaf. Can you see a different inductive step from there?

1. Is it true that a tree with at least 2 vertices always has at least 2 leaves?

Yes, it is true. In a tree, a vertex that is not the root must have at least one edge coming into it and at least one edge going out of it. Therefore, a tree with at least 2 vertices will have at least 2 leaves, which are vertices with only one edge coming into them.

2. How does the number of vertices in a tree affect the number of leaves?

The number of vertices in a tree does not directly affect the number of leaves. However, a tree must have at least as many leaves as it has vertices minus 1. So, if a tree has n vertices, it must have at least n-1 leaves.

3. Can a tree have more than 2 leaves if it has only 2 vertices?

No, a tree with only 2 vertices can have a maximum of 2 leaves. This is because a tree must have n-1 leaves, where n is the number of vertices. Since n=2 in this case, the tree can have at most 2-1=1 leaf.

4. Why is it important to have at least 2 leaves in a tree with at least 2 vertices?

Having at least 2 leaves in a tree with at least 2 vertices ensures that the tree is properly connected and does not have any isolated vertices. This is important in order to maintain the hierarchical structure of a tree, where each vertex is connected to one or more other vertices.

5. Is the statement "A tree with at least 2 vertices has at least 2 leaves" always true for all types of trees?

Yes, the statement is always true for all types of trees. This is because the definition of a tree requires that it is a connected graph with no cycles. Therefore, every tree must have at least 2 vertices and at least 2 leaves.