A tricky question with complex numbers

In summary: I thought we were nearly there with some elementary geometry!After Pero's suggestion, it falls out, after some algebra, without Calculus: The diagonal line minimizes the distance of one set, then minimize the distance from that set betwen $x+iy$ to $3+4i$.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
The question is in Attempt at a solution
Relevant Equations
Triangular inequalities in complex no.
Distance formula
Polar coordinates
IMG-20191010-WA0001.jpg

All i was able to think was that i have to find a point (x,y) such that sum of its distances from points (0,0),(1,0),(0,1) and (3,4) is minimum.I tried by assuming the point to be centre of circle passing through any of the above 3 points,But it didn't helped me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.Let (x,y) be the solution
[tex]s=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}+\sqrt{(x-1)^2+y^2}+\sqrt{x^2+(y-1)^2}+\sqrt{(x-3)^2+(y-4)^2}[/tex]
should have minimum value. How about checking partial derivatives of s ?

mitochan said:
[tex]s=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}+\sqrt{(x-1)^2+y^2}+\sqrt{x^2+(y-1)^2}+\sqrt{(x-3)^2+(y-4)^2}[/tex]
I was thinking abou PDs too, but this is the precalc section.

mitochan said:
My teacher has asked to do it without partial derivative.

Physics lover said:

Can you use the symmetry of the problem? What if you only had ##|z|## and ##|z-1|##? Try looking at that to start with.

Physics lover said:
It looks like a problem solvable by AM-GM inequality however I can't quite get it. May wish to try it.

aheight said:
It looks like a problem solvable by AM-GM inequality however I can't quite get it. May wish to try it.

It's actually much simpler than that. You just have to break the problem down in the right way.

Likes aheight
PeroK said:
Can you use the symmetry of the problem? What if you only had ##|z|## and ##|z-1|##? Try looking at that to start with.
i can apply triangular inequality to find that is it right?

Physics lover said:
i can apply triangular inequality to find that is it right?

You can always use the triangle inequality. You already worked out, I think, that to minimise the sum ##|z -1| + |z-i|## is equivalent to finding a point which minimises the sum of the distances to the points ##(1,0)## and ##(0, 1)##.

Can you solve that?

Likes aheight
PeroK said:
You can always use the triangle inequality. You already worked out, I think, that to minimise the sum ##|z -1| + |z-i|## is equivalent to finding a point which minimises the sum of the distances to the points ##(1,0)## and ##(0, 1)##.

Can you solve that?
that may be the point (1/2,1/2)

Physics lover said:
that may be the point (1/2,1/2)

Only that point?

PeroK said:
Only that point?
I think i need to find a relation between x and y and then i can differentiate the equation to find minimum.Is there any other method?

PeroK said:

Can you solve that?
It should be any point on the line passing by the two.

archaic said:
It should be any point in between.

Yes, exactly, any point on the line segment between the two points in question. You can, of course, use the triangle inequality to prove that, if you wish.

Now, that leaves two more points to deal with.

Physics lover said:
and then i can differentiate the equation to find minimum
You have posted the problem in the Precalculus section, which precludes the use of calculus techniques such as differentiation and integration. Should I move this thread to the Calculus & Beyond section?

Mark44 said:
You have posted the problem in the Precalculus section, which precludes the use of calculus techniques such as differentiation and integration. Should I move this thread to the Calculus & Beyond section?
Ofcourse,You can.

Mark44 said:

I thought we were nearly there with some elementary geometry!

After Pero's suggestion, it falls out, after some algebra, without Calculus: The diagonal line ##y=1-x##, minimizes the distance of one set, then minimize the distance from that set betwen ##x+iy## to ##3+4i##
minimizePlot.jpg

aheight said:
After Pero's suggestion, it falls out, after some algebra, without Calculus: The diagonal line minimizes the distance of one set, then minimize the distance from that set betwen $x+iy$ to $3+4i$
View attachment 250945

That looks to me very like geometry, not algebra!

PeroK said:
That looks to me very like geometry, not algebra!

Well, I did have to make two linear equations and then solve for their intersection (and I like making plots).

Likes PeroK
Physics lover said:
So should it be like this
I have to find a point from (0,1) and (1,0) and another loint from the other two mentioned points and then the final point will be on line joining these two points that i found.Is it correct?
Perhaps I can help with that: Find a point along the line from (0,1) to (1,0) such that the distance from that point to the origin plus the distance from that point to (3,4) is minimum. The Triangle Inequality requires the three points to be along a straight line.

Also, not wishing to cheat or anything, here's the code in Mathematica as a minimization problem. You can use it to check your work:
Code:
myVals = {x, y} /. 
  FindMinimum[{(Abs[z] + Abs[z - 1] + Abs[z - I] + 
        Abs[z - 3 - 4 I]) /. z -> x + I y, 
     Element[{x, y}, Disk[{0, 0}, 10]]}, {x, y}][[2]]

{0.4285714284248281`, 0.5714285709615166`}

Likes PeroK
aheight said:
Perhaps I can help with that: Find a point along the line from (0,1) to (1,0) such that the distance from that point to the origin plus the distance from that point to (3,4) is minimum. The Triangle Inequality requires the three points to be along a straight line.

Also, not wishing to cheat or anything, here's the code in Mathematica as a minimization problem. You can use it to check your work:
Code:
myVals = {x, y} /.

If we go back to the original question we had to find the minimum value of the expression. We didn't actually need to find ##z##.

PeroK said:
If we go back to the original question we had to find the minimum value of the expression. We didn't actually need to find ##z##.
i think i would have to check my calculation since i am getting the desired point to be (3/5,2/5)

Physics lover said:
i think i would have to check my calculation since i am getting the desired point to be (3/5,2/5)
That's not correct. But, as I said, you don't actually need to find the point.

aheight said:

Code:
myVals = {x, y} /.

This seems to be the pair (3/7,4/7).

WWGD said:
This seems to be the pair (3/7,4/7).
thanks i got it.

PeroK said:
That's not correct. But, as I said, you don't actually need to find the point.
so how we will do it without finding the point.

Physics lover said:
so how we will do it without finding the point.
You're only asked for the sum of the distances. You don't need to calculate the point for that.

PeroK said:
Yes, exactly, any point on the line segment between the two points in question. You can, of course, use the triangle inequality to prove that, if you wish.

Now, that leaves two more points to deal with.
I think I got it. Any point on the line passing by ##(0,1)## and ##(1,0)## minimizes the distance between them, it is also the same for the origin and ##(3,4)##, so ##z## that minimizes that equation should be the point of intersection of both lines.

Likes mitochan
archaic said:
I think I got it. Any point on the line passing by ##(0,1)## and ##(1,0)## minimizes the distance between them, it is also the same for the origin and ##(3,4)##, so ##z## that minimizes that equation should be the point of intersection of both lines.

Yes. And you know the sum of the distances in both cases, so you don't even need to calculate the point - as long as geometrically you can see it exists.

Likes Physics lover and archaic

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = (3+5) + (2+4)i = 8 + 6i.

3. Can you multiply or divide complex numbers?

Yes, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided. To multiply, you use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) and then combine like terms. To divide, you use the conjugate of the denominator to eliminate the imaginary part in the denominator.

4. What is the complex conjugate?

The complex conjugate of a complex number is the number with the same real part but the opposite sign on the imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of 3 + 2i is 3 - 2i.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers have many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to represent AC circuits, vibrations in mechanical systems, and stock market trends, among other things. They also have practical uses in computer graphics and signal processing.