A van is travelling north - Vector question.

• Thread starter shamswahid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: A^2=B^2+C^2-2BC, and cosa is the angle at the corner. So in this case, 252=282+x^2.In summary, the student is trying to find the difference in velocity between a van traveling north at a speed of 28 ms, turning a corner, and then heading east at a speed of 25 ms, and a van traveling north at a speed of 25 ms, turning a corner, and then heading 40 degrees east of north at 25 ms. He is unable to do the work and asks for help. In response, the psychologist provides a summary of the physics concepts involved, and recommends a textbook.
shamswahid
Hi, I have just started A-level physics and bought the Letts AS/A2 study guide from which I am working. However I have gotten stuck right at the beginning! Please can someone figure this out with an explanation? Also any recommendations on good but concise textbooks? I was thinking of buying Physics for Dummies.

1. A van is traveling north at a speed of 28ms. After turning a corner it is heading 40 degrees east of north at 25ms. Work out the change in velocity of the van

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is a vector …

shamswahid said:
1. A van is traveling north at a speed of 28ms. After turning a corner it is heading 40 degrees east of north at 25ms. Work out the change in velocity of the van

Hi shamswahid! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The question gives you two velocities (speed-plus-direction), and asks you to find the difference.

Velocity is a vector.

What that means (among other things) is that you can combine them using vector diagrams (usually triangles).

So draw the triangle (roughly), and calculate the unknown side and angle! :smile:

shamswahid said:
Hi tiny-tim,

Ok but it has been such a long time since I did maths and physics that I cannot see how to do what you suggested.

Would you be able to provide a working out please if that's ok?

Thanks,
Shams

Hi Shams! :smile:

No, you have to do the work!

Draw the triangle: one side will be 28, straight up, and one side will be 25 at an angle of 40º to it.

You can find the length of the third side either by using x and y coordinates, or by using the trig formula:
[tex]A^2\,=\,B^2\,+\,C^2 -2BC\,cosa\,.[/tex]​

(Using x and y coordinates is probably easier.)

Have a go! :smile:
™​

Well i tried using pythagoras 252=282+x^2.
but i cannot work out x.
what did i do wrong?
please help.

uhh? what does Pythagoras have to do with it? :confused:

either use the trig formula, or use x and y coordinates

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical concept that represents both magnitude (size or amount) and direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the movement of objects or forces.

2. How is a van travelling north described as a vector?

A van travelling north can be described as a vector by specifying its magnitude and direction. For example, the vector could be written as "10 miles north" or "20 kilometers per hour north."

3. Why is it important to use vectors to describe motion?

Vectors are important because they provide a complete description of an object's movement. They include both the distance and direction traveled, which is necessary for accurately predicting and analyzing motion.

4. How does the direction of a vector affect its value?

The direction of a vector is just as important as its magnitude. Two vectors with the same magnitude but different directions will have different values. For example, a van travelling north at 10 miles per hour has a different vector value than a van travelling south at 10 miles per hour.

5. Can a van travelling north ever have a negative vector value?

Yes, a van travelling north can have a negative vector value if it is travelling in the opposite direction of a chosen reference point. For example, if a reference point is defined as north and the van is travelling south, its vector value would be negative.