A Well Written Multivariable Calculus Textbook?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a well-written textbook for multivariable calculus, with the recommendation of using Stewart's textbook for self-study. Other suggestions include using Larson's textbook as a companion and trying Simmons Calculus or an old edition of Thomas Calculus. The book "Div, Grad, Curl and All that" is also recommended for those familiar with electricity and magnetism. Another recommendation is the book "Vector Calculus" by Matthews for its concise and precise content.
Henry T
I'm looking for a well written textbook for multivariable calculus textbook. For single variable I worked with Stewart's calculus mostly and I found it very good. However I took a glance at Stewart's multivariable calculus textbook and I didn't enjoy it. The explanations weren't all that good (I actually skipped the explanations all together and read Paul's online notes instead) and I found the problem selection quite poor, the problems tended to focus more on finding more complex derivatives or integrals rather than ones that could have been made a little simpler and exemplified the new material much better. Stweart's aside I was curious if there were any other textbooks out there worth using, specifically ones for self studying and that include parametric equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
How far do you want to go in multi-variable calculus? Do you want to just learn up to iterated integrals, or do you need up to the classical vector field integral theorems?

Up to the classical vector field integral theorems is where I would like to get to!

I'd stick with Stewart.

Just because you don't like it does not mean it isn't good for you.

Hmm. Dr. Courtney is correct. Most general Calculus books are the same. So you have an OK book for that purpose. The recommendation of Larson is unnecessary, it is similar to Stewart.

You can try Simmons Calculus. It is more intuitive and better explained. Lacks Stoke ' s Theorem I believe.
Or you can try an old copy of thomas calculus with analytic geometry 3rd ed. I prefer this ed of thomas.

Thanks a bunch for the responses! Ill look around a little more I've heard good things from Simmons.

Henry T said:
Thanks a bunch for the responses! Ill look around a little more I've heard good things from Simmons.
If you are familiar with electricity and magnetism, then you can try Div, Grad, Curl and All that.

I have a copy in my personal library, I have not read it since I barely started doing multi variable calculus. My friend liked it and swears by it. Said they finally understood the why intuitively after taking a multi variable calculus and EnM together.

I got my copy for 2.99 shipped. Not a big loss if you don't like it.

Likes Vardaan Bhat, vanhees71 and Dr. Courtney
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a multivariable calculus textbook?

A multivariable calculus textbook is used to teach students the concepts and methods of calculus in multiple dimensions. It covers topics such as vector calculus, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and applications of calculus in physics and engineering.

2. What should I look for in a well written multivariable calculus textbook?

A well written multivariable calculus textbook should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, a variety of examples and practice problems, and visual aids such as diagrams and graphs. It should also have a logical organization and a comprehensive index.

3. How can a well written multivariable calculus textbook benefit me?

A well written multivariable calculus textbook can provide a solid foundation in calculus and help you understand more advanced mathematical concepts. It can also improve your problem-solving skills and prepare you for future courses in mathematics, science, and engineering.

4. What sets a well written multivariable calculus textbook apart from others?

A well written multivariable calculus textbook stands out by its clarity, accuracy, and effectiveness in teaching the subject. It may also include additional resources such as online tutorials, practice tests, and interactive features to enhance learning.

5. Are there any recommended multivariable calculus textbooks?

There are many excellent multivariable calculus textbooks available, and the best one for you will depend on your learning style and goals. Some popular options include "Multivariable Calculus" by James Stewart, "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba, and "Multivariable Mathematics" by Theodore Shifrin and Michelle L. Wiese.