A y such that f(x) <= f(y) all x

  • Thread starter Thread starter R_beta.v3
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
R_beta.v3
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


if ##f## is a continuous function, ##f(x) > 0## for all x, and
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} {f(x)} = 0 = \lim_{x\rightarrow -\infty} {f(x)}[/tex]
Prove: There is a y such that ##f(x) \leq f(y)## for all x

I'm assuming that the domain of f is ℝ.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Since
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} {f(x)} = 0 = \lim_{x\rightarrow -\infty} {f(x)}[/tex]
-There is an ##N_1 < 0## such that, for all x, if x < ##N_1## then [itex]|f(x)| = f(x) < f(-1)[/itex]
-There is an ##N_2 > 0## such that, for all x, if x > ##N_2## then [itex]|f(x)| = f(x) < f(+1)[/itex]

I'm not 100% sure but, this is what I have in mind:
Let ##a## be any number such that ##a < N_1##, ## - 1## and ##b## any number such that ##b > N_2##, ## 1##.
Since f is continuous on [a, b], there is a y in [a, b], such that, ##f(x) \leq f(y) ## for all x in [a, b]
Now, if ##x < a## then ##f(x) < f(-1) \leq f(y) ## and if ##x > b## then ##f(x) < f(1) \leq f(y)##

So ##f(x) \leq f(y)## for all x
 
Physics news on Phys.org
R_beta.v3 said:
-There is an ##N_1 < 0## such that, for all x, if x < ##N_1## then [itex]|f(x)| = f(x) < f(-1)[/itex]
Why single out -1? What's special about that?
 
haruspex said:
Why single out -1? What's special about that?

Well, nothing. I used -1 and 1 because they are simple. The "proof" is basically the same with other numbers.
 
I think your proof is fine, but it can be decluttered a bit. I don't see why you need both ##f(-1)## and ##f(1)##. Wouldn't it still work if you replaced them both with ##f(0)##? Also, why not just use the interval ##[N_1, N_2]## instead of introducing ##a## and ##b##?
 
Of course! I can't believe that I didn't do that.

Thanks.