Abel's Equation and Wronskian for find out y2

In summary, the conversation discusses Abel's equation and using the method of reduction of order to find the second solution for a given differential equation. The specific question referenced is exercise 37 in Boyce and Diprima's textbook.
maiacaroline

Homework Statement

x²y''+xy'+(x²-0,25)y=0
y1= x^-1/2*sin x

Homework Equations

Abel's equation:
W= c.e^-(integrate (p(t))

The Attempt at a Solution

My Wronskian gave me a first order ODE that I really don't know solve.

x^-1/2*sinx y' + (1/2 x^-3/2 sin x- x^-1/2cosx) y2

I don't solved the Abel's equation cause I don't know what to do with this amount of sin and cos ahahhahaha.

Is the exercise 37 of Boyce and Diprima

Likes makemoneyu
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are given one solution you should use the method of reduction of order to find the other one, and it should be in the chapter where you found the question (did it myself a few months ago).

1. What is Abel's equation?

Abel's equation is a differential equation that relates the first and second derivatives of a function. It is written in the form y''(x) + P(x)y'(x) + Q(x)y(x) = 0, where P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x.

2. What is the purpose of Abel's equation?

The purpose of Abel's equation is to find the second derivative of a function when the first derivative is known. It is often used in physics and engineering to model physical systems.

3. What is the Wronskian for Abel's equation?

The Wronskian for Abel's equation is a function that helps determine whether two solutions of the equation are linearly independent. It is defined as W(y1, y2) = y1y2' - y1'y2, where y1 and y2 are two solutions of the equation.

4. How is the Wronskian used to find y2 in Abel's equation?

The Wronskian can be used to find y2 by setting it equal to a constant, C, and solving for y2. This constant represents the relationship between the two solutions y1 and y2, and is known as the constant of integration.

5. What is the significance of the Wronskian in Abel's equation?

The Wronskian is significant because it helps determine the general solution of Abel's equation. If the Wronskian is non-zero, then the two solutions y1 and y2 are linearly independent and the general solution can be written as y(x) = C1y1(x) + C2y2(x). If the Wronskian is zero, then the solutions are not linearly independent and a different method must be used to find the general solution.