1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Abel's Theorem, find the Wronskian

1. Nov 23, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting without the homework template
    Using Abel's thrm, find the wronskian between 2 soltions of the second order, linear ODE:
    x''+1/sqrt(t^3)x'+t^2x=0
    t>0

I think I got the interal of 1/sqrt(t^3) to be 2t/sqrt(t^3) but this is very different to the other examples I've done where a ln is formed to cancel out the e in the formula
    W(x1,x2)= Cexp(-intergral 1/sqrt(t^3) dt)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

##p(t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{t^3} }, q(t) = t^2## fits Abel's formula.
    So:
    ##W(t) = C e^{- \int t^{-3/2}dt } ##
    In your solution to the integral, I assume you meant that: ## - \int t^{-3/2}\, dt = 2t^{-1/2} ##. This looks to be the best way to answer the problem.
    You will often see the natural log occur in practice problems, but there is no rule stating that it will always be there.
    A common format looks like ##p(t) = \frac{f'(t)}{f(t)},## so the integral ends up as ##\ln f(t)##, so ##e^{- \ln f(t) } = \frac{1}{f(t)}.## But that is not the format you have here. It looks like your solution is good. Remember to be careful with your negative signs, and try to use Tex when possible to make reading easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted