Abiogenesis related to Miller/Urey, in video form.

• Thread starter sponsoredwalk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Video
In summary, the conversation discusses a video about the origin of life and the opinions of people in the room on its significance and credibility. The video explains that water will flow across a membrane to equalize ion concentration and discusses the role of fatty acids in equilibrium between vesicles and solution. The conversation also touches on the debate between creationists and atheists, with some criticizing the video for taking a stance against creationism. However, others argue that the video simply presents factual evidence and criticize the tendency for both fundamentalists and atheists to take potshots at each other. The conversation ends with a request to save religious debates for a different thread and a question about why the video specifically targets religion.
sponsoredwalk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg&feature=player_embedded

What are the opinions of people in this room on this video?

Is it significant? Does it have credibility?

from the description with the video

Water will flow across a membrane to try to equalize the ion concentration. If there is a lot of polymer in a vesicle it will be surrounded by many ions, thus causing water to flow into the vesicle, increasing the internal pressure and stretching the membrane. Fatty acids are in equilibrium between the vesicle and solution. If 2 vesicles are near one another they will gradually swap fatty acids. If one membrane is under tension, the fatty acid "on rate" will be greater than the "off rate" (move to a lower energy state by relaxing the pressure). It will suck up fatty acids from solution. The other vesicle will still give them off, but they will disappear (sucked up by neighbor) and not return. Therefore, the vesicle with high internal pressure will grow and the neighbor will shrink.

Note: To skip past the responses to creationist claims go to the start of the third minute, but the music is good & it's funny to read, I advise watching it all :-p

Biology news on Phys.org
Yeah I've seen it the general ideas are all correct this isn't to say that there are complete theories however. Abiogenesis still needs quite a bit of work done to it and it would nice for some concrete evidence from a lab to come with it but it's much more difficult done than said :-p.

I agree the music makes a great video, especially the video. I don't like however the 'against creationist' stance it takes, I'd rather people just explain what's going on in the world of science then try to make others look stupid for their beliefs.

zomgwtf said:
I agree the music makes a great video, especially the video. I don't like however the 'against creationist' stance it takes, I'd rather people just explain what's going on in the world of science then try to make others look stupid for their beliefs.

Agreed.

Regardless of the way I feel about that whole side to life, I just refer to this crazy "online war" as a battle between the "Internet Atheist Alliance" & Fundamentalists...

o:)

I find the fundamental atheists as tiresome as fundamentalist theists. Their unending war of words over the beginning of the universe is pointless. The whole young Earth notion should not last much longer than a decade in my opinion, theism is dying out in modern nations... it's the impoverished ones that need our help. Poverty and ignorance and superstition go hand in hand in hand and prop up religious bodies which further impoverish them with god-tax.

Philosothink said:
I find the fundamental atheists as tiresome as fundamentalist theists. Their unending war of words over the beginning of the universe is pointless. The whole young Earth notion should not last much longer than a decade in my opinion, theism is dying out in modern nations... it's the impoverished ones that need our help. Poverty and ignorance and superstition go hand in hand in hand and prop up religious bodies which further impoverish them with god-tax.

There is no such thing as http://atheism.about.com/od/isatheismdangerous/a/Fundamentalist.htm: "If fundamentalism is primarily about the promotion of "fundamental" beliefs, it's not possible for this to be applied to atheism because atheism has no beliefs, much less "fundamental" beliefs. Atheism is the absence of belief in gods, nothing more and nothing less, so there is nothing "fundamental" for atheists to "get back to" in order to achieve a more pure or original atheism."

Creationism / theism is not dying out in modern nations. The percentage of creationists in the United States has been steady for several decades. 44% are young Earth creationists and 80% reject modern ateleological evolution. Europe and the middle east is also experiencing an increase in creationism.

Many creationists, like William Dembski (who has a PhD in theology, mathematics and philosophy) or Michael Behe (PhD in biochemistry) are highly intelligent, so the situation is much more complex. A question you should be asking yourself is how come smart people can have irrational beliefs. One answer could be that smart people are good at rationalizing beliefs they have come to for non-smart reasons.

Mattara said:
There is no such thing as http://atheism.about.com/od/isatheismdangerous/a/Fundamentalist.htm:

I believe s(he) was replying to a half-joke I made earlier in the thread.

sponsoredwalk said:
Agreed.

Regardless of the way I feel about that whole side to life, I just refer to this crazy "online war" as a battle between the "Internet Atheist Alliance" & Fundamentalists...

o:)

I was just talking about the video that caused me to start this whole post, (which only 1 person has actually referred to so far...).

We're totally off the original subject but half of the video which claims to display evidence for the origin of life is skewed to just insult fundamentalists.

That part of the video is funny but it just shows how crazy atheists are getting online trying to put fundamentalists down, taking every opportunity.

sponsoredwalk said:
We're totally off the original subject but half of the video which claims to display evidence for the origin of life is skewed to just insult fundamentalists.

That part of the video is funny but it just shows how crazy atheists are getting online trying to put fundamentalists down, taking every opportunity.

Reality itself is "skewed" to insult fundamentalists because it does not agree with them, so I do not see your point. Did you find any factual errors in the video?

No I didn't find any factual errors, in fact my main question was asking to people on this site if they found any factual errors or ANYTHING wrong with the SECOND half of the video, not the first half...

Save the religious conversation for a different thread please, again I just voiced my opinion that I think it's cheap to take pot shots & in a video expounding upon a theory that claims to have found a possible origin for life I think getting into small minded arguments only reduces the "nobility"of the whole video.

You see that they are targeting religion, why not nihilists or someone?

[not asking for an answer to a self-evident question...]

Related to Abiogenesis related to Miller/Urey, in video form.

1. What is the Miller/Urey experiment?

The Miller/Urey experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in 1953 by Stanley Miller and Harold Urey. They wanted to test the theory of abiogenesis, which suggests that life could have originated from non-living matter. They simulated the conditions of early Earth in a laboratory and were able to produce organic compounds, such as amino acids, which are the building blocks of life.

2. How did the Miller/Urey experiment contribute to our understanding of abiogenesis?

The Miller/Urey experiment provided evidence that the basic building blocks of life, such as amino acids, could have formed on early Earth through natural processes. This supports the theory of abiogenesis and helps us understand how life may have originated on our planet.

3. Was the Miller/Urey experiment successful in creating life?

No, the Miller/Urey experiment did not create life. It was able to produce organic compounds, but these are only the basic building blocks of life. More complex processes, such as the formation of cells, were not achieved in this experiment.

4. Has the Miller/Urey experiment been replicated?

Yes, the Miller/Urey experiment has been replicated many times by different scientists. Some of these replications have used different mixtures of gases and have produced different results, but overall they have all shown that organic compounds can be produced under the conditions of early Earth.

5. What are some criticisms of the Miller/Urey experiment?

Some criticisms of the Miller/Urey experiment include the fact that the conditions used in the experiment may not accurately reflect the conditions of early Earth, and that the experiment did not produce more complex molecules necessary for life. Additionally, some argue that the experiment only shows that organic compounds can form, but does not prove that life actually originated in this way.