About a load calculation -- Roller selection for a plate straightining maching

Main Question or Discussion Point

i am making a plate straightining maching for 25x2100 mm plate.
motor- 30 hp and 960 rpm
worm reduction gear box- 100:1
Please tell me about the selection of roller by which i can straight the plate, and gear also.. if center distance between gear is 280 mm

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
i am making a plate straightining maching for 25x2100 mm plate.
motor- 30 hp and 960 rpm
worm reduction gear box- 100:1
Please tell me about the selection of roller by which i can straight the plate, and gear also.. if center distance between gear is 280 mm
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

By your dimensions, are you saying the plates are 2 meters wide by 2.5cm thick? Or 2.5cm wide by 2 meters long (by how thick?)? What is the material? Have you worked with plate straightening machines in the past? How straight do you need the final product to be, and how will you measure it to be sure that it meets specifications?

Do some web research on plate rolling. I think you will find that this is much more a mechanics problem than an electrical problem.

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

By your dimensions, are you saying the plates are 2 meters wide by 2.5cm thick? Or 2.5cm wide by 2 meters long (by how thick?)? What is the material? Have you worked with plate straightening machines in the past? How straight do you need the final product to be, and how will you measure it to be sure that it meets specifications?
material is EN 8, wrongly any plate be bend , then i'll use this straightening machine,
to check the straightness of sheet, we set sensor at both outer side pinch roller

Do some web research on plate rolling. I think you will find that this is much more a mechanics problem than an electrical problem.
i know sir....but driver roller be connected through motor and worm reduction gear box, but i don't understand how i select gear box and motor for good job

jrmichler
Science Advisor
The procedure is as follows:
1) Calculate the total amount of energy (plastic strain times yield stress) for the worst case straightening.
2) Calculate the time to pass that section through the straightening machine.
3) Divide total work by time to get power.
4) Multiply by a suitable safety factor to cover unknowns.
5) Compare to available power and gear ratio. Adjust the gear ratio or power as indicated, then go back to Step 2.
6) Repeat steps 2 through 5 until the motor and gear ratio meet the needs.

A book that covers Step 1 is Metal Forming, Mechanics and Metallurgy by Hosford and Caddell. There are probably better books available, that happens to be the one that I used in grad school If you need more detail, find an engineer that understands the procedure above. It is not practical to go into more detail in this forum.