About a type of limit

• B
  • Thread starter archaic
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Would this ##f'(x)>g'(x)\,\forall x\in [a,\infty)\text{ and }f,\,g\underset{\infty}{\to}0\Rightarrow \lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)/g(x)=0## hold if ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\neq c##?

Answers and Replies

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
It is unclear to me what you mean. Can you be a little more careful describe what you mean? You have an ##\implies## and then an 'if' after the implies.

What is ##a## ? What is ##c##? Where are ##f,g## defined?

RPinPA
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Would this ##f'(x)>g'(x)\,\forall x\in [a,\infty)\text{ and }f,\,g\underset{\infty}{\to}0\Rightarrow \lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)/g(x)=0## hold if ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\neq c##?
This is a little cryptic. Here's what I think you are saying:

"There is a theorem that if for some ##a \in \mathbb R, f'(x)>g'(x)\,\forall x\in [a,\infty)## and ##f,\,g\underset{\infty}{\to}0## (Does this mean ##\lim_{x\to\infty}f, g = 0##?) then ##\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)/g(x)=0##. Does the theorem hold if ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\neq c##?"

Or are you asking if there is such a theorem?

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
If I understood correctly, ##1/x ,1/(x+1)## are counters.

It is unclear to me what you mean. Can you be a little more careful describe what you mean? You have an ##\implies## and then an 'if' after the implies.

What is ##a## ? What is ##c##? Where are ##f,g## defined?
This is a little cryptic. Here's what I think you are saying:

"There is a theorem that if for some ##a \in \mathbb R, f'(x)>g'(x)\,\forall x\in [a,\infty)## and ##f,\,g\underset{\infty}{\to}0## (Does this mean ##\lim_{x\to\infty}f, g = 0##?) then ##\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)/g(x)=0##. Does the theorem hold if ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\neq c##?"

Or are you asking if there is such a theorem?
What I want to say is, if there're two functions ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## who are going to ##0## as ##x\to\infty##, and such that after a certain ##x\,(=a)## we have ##f'(x)>g'(x)## then ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} \underset{\infty}{\to} 0## provided that ##f(x)\neq cg(x)## where ##c\in\mathbb{R}##, elsewise the limit would equal ##c##.
I realised some holes in this through math.stackexchange. I was initially thinking of two decreasing functions, i.e both positive.
However, since what I want to say is if ##f## goes to ##0## faster than ##g## then ..., the correct way to translate this in math is ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## (provided that both ##f## and ##g## are going to ##0##).

If I understood correctly, ##1/x ,1/(x+1)## are counters.
No, they don't come under this since they have the same rate of change.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
No, they don't come under this since they have the same rate of change.
Respective derivatives are ##-1/x^2 >-1/(x+1)^2##

Respective derivatives are ##-1/x^2 >-1/(x+1)^2##
Right sorry. I think, then, that I can say something about the convergence of the limit given the assumptions? And then it follows that it is ##0## if the functions are not equivalent at ##\infty##?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
What I want to say is, if there're two functions ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## who are going to ##0## as ##x\to\infty##, and such that after a certain ##x\,(=a)## we have ##f'(x)>g'(x)## then ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} \underset{\infty}{\to} 0## provided that ##f(x)\neq cg(x)## where ##c\in\mathbb{R}##, elsewise the limit would equal ##c##.
I realised some holes in this through math.stackexchange. I was initially thinking of two decreasing functions, i.e both positive.
However, since what I want to say is if ##f## goes to ##0## faster than ##g## then ..., the correct way to translate this in math is ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## (provided that both ##f## and ##g## are going to ##0##).
I can't see any reason why this would be true.

I can't see any reason why this would be true.
$$N=n-m>0,\,\,\pm\frac{10^{-n}}{10^{-m}}=\pm10^{-n+m}=\pm10^{-N}=\pm\frac{1}{e^{N\ln10}}\underset{N\to \infty}{\to}0$$
By ##10^{k}## I just wanted to represent a kind of manual evaluation of a limit where the nominator is going to zero faster than the denominator. Maybe I should use ##O(10^{-n})##? Not sure, I need to study big-O notation.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
$$N=n-m>0,\,\,\pm\frac{10^{-n}}{10^{-m}}=\pm10^{-n+m}=\pm10^{-N}=\pm\frac{1}{e^{N\ln10}}\underset{N\to \infty}{\to}0$$
By $10^{k}$ I just wanted to represent a kind of manual evaluation of a limit where the nominator is going to zero faster than the denominator. Maybe I should use ##O(10^{-n})##? Not sure, I need to study big-O notation.
I can't see the relationship between that and what you posted before.

I can't see the relationship between that and what you posted before.
Well, if ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## and they are both going to ##0##, it means that ##f## is going to ##0## faster, and so the limit should be ##0##.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Well, if ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## and they are both going to ##0##, it means that ##f## is going to ##0## faster, and so the limit should be ##0##.
That relationship means that ##g(x)## is changing more quickly than ##f(x)##.

You've got that the wrong way round.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
In any case, you already have the counterexample: ##f(x) = \frac 1 2 g(x)##.

Even if you exclude that precise counterexample, you only need two functions where ##f(x) \approx \frac 1 2 g(x)##. For example:

##f(x) = (\frac 1 2 + \frac{\sin x}{x})g(x)##

That relationship means that ##g(x)## is changing more quickly than ##f(x)##.

You've got that the wrong way round.
If ##f## is going faster to ##0## than ##g##, then ##|df|## would be less than ##|dg|##, because it is already "at zero" so there isn't much to change.
In any case, you already have the counterexample: ##f(x) = \frac 1 2 g(x)##.

Even if you exclude that precise counterexample, you only need two functions where ##f(x) \approx \frac 1 2 g(x)##. For example:

##f(x) = (\frac 1 2 + \frac{\sin x}{x})g(x)##
Right, see post #8.
through the different counter-examples given, it is clear that this is not true. however, given the premises, it seems that the limit always converges (maybe), and in the special case that ##f\underset{\infty}{\not\sim}g##, it is zero (maybe). This is just an intuitive exercise, I just feel like this might work out.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
however, given the premises, it seems that the limit always converges (maybe), and in the special case that ##f\underset{\infty}{\not\sim}g##, it is zero (maybe). This is just an intuitive exercise, I just feel like this might work out.
Not that either. Just amend my last function:

##f(x) = (\frac 1 2 + \frac{\sin x}{10})g(x)##

Then the limit ##f(x)/g(x) = \frac 1 2 + \frac{\sin x}{10}## is undefined.

wops

It doesn't satisfy ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## so it doesn't come under this.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
wops
Seriously, you ought to think about how I created these counterexamples. They only really involved some elementary geometrical thinking.

The only one we don't have is where ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = +\infty##.

Any ideas?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
It doesn't satisfy ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## so it doesn't come under this.
With ##g(x) = e^{-x}## it all works out.

Seriously, you ought to think about how I created these counterexamples. They only really involved some elementary geometrical thinking.

The only one we don't have is where ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = +\infty##.

Any ideas?
you mean given the premises?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
you mean given the premises?
Maybe this is the result that could be proved? If ##|f'(x)| < |g'(x)|##, then ##f(x)## is changing less than ##g(x)##, so ##f(x)/g(x)## cannot become arbitrarily large. So:

##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} \ne +\infty##?

Maybe this is the result that could be proved? If ##|f'(x)| < |g'(x)|##, then ##f(x)## is changing less than ##g(x)##, so ##f(x)/g(x)## cannot become arbitrarily large. So:

##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} \ne +\infty##?
I thought you meant that there was an example where that limit goes to infinity...
But yes, it seems reasonable that given those premises the limit can't be arbitrarily large.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I thought you meant that there was an example where that limit goes to infinity...
... looking for counterexamples is good way to see what might be true.