Does the Limit Hold for f'(x)>g'(x) Even if f(x)/g(x) is not a Constant?

• B
  • Thread starter archaic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Type
In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a theorem to hold regarding the limit of two functions approaching 0 and the relationship between their derivatives. There is also mention of the use of big-O notation in evaluating the limit.
archaic
Would this ##f'(x)>g'(x)\,\forall x\in [a,\infty)\text{ and }f,\,g\underset{\infty}{\to}0\Rightarrow \lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)/g(x)=0## hold if ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\neq c##?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is unclear to me what you mean. Can you be a little more careful describe what you mean? You have an ##\implies## and then an 'if' after the implies.

What is ##a## ? What is ##c##? Where are ##f,g## defined?

archaic said:
Would this ##f'(x)>g'(x)\,\forall x\in [a,\infty)\text{ and }f,\,g\underset{\infty}{\to}0\Rightarrow \lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)/g(x)=0## hold if ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\neq c##?

This is a little cryptic. Here's what I think you are saying:

"There is a theorem that if for some ##a \in \mathbb R, f'(x)>g'(x)\,\forall x\in [a,\infty)## and ##f,\,g\underset{\infty}{\to}0## (Does this mean ##\lim_{x\to\infty}f, g = 0##?) then ##\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)/g(x)=0##. Does the theorem hold if ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\neq c##?"

Or are you asking if there is such a theorem?

If I understood correctly, ##1/x ,1/(x+1)## are counters.

Math_QED said:
It is unclear to me what you mean. Can you be a little more careful describe what you mean? You have an ##\implies## and then an 'if' after the implies.

What is ##a## ? What is ##c##? Where are ##f,g## defined?
RPinPA said:
This is a little cryptic. Here's what I think you are saying:

"There is a theorem that if for some ##a \in \mathbb R, f'(x)>g'(x)\,\forall x\in [a,\infty)## and ##f,\,g\underset{\infty}{\to}0## (Does this mean ##\lim_{x\to\infty}f, g = 0##?) then ##\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)/g(x)=0##. Does the theorem hold if ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\neq c##?"

Or are you asking if there is such a theorem?
What I want to say is, if there're two functions ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## who are going to ##0## as ##x\to\infty##, and such that after a certain ##x\,(=a)## we have ##f'(x)>g'(x)## then ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} \underset{\infty}{\to} 0## provided that ##f(x)\neq cg(x)## where ##c\in\mathbb{R}##, elsewise the limit would equal ##c##.
I realized some holes in this through math.stackexchange. I was initially thinking of two decreasing functions, i.e both positive.
However, since what I want to say is if ##f## goes to ##0## faster than ##g## then ..., the correct way to translate this in math is ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## (provided that both ##f## and ##g## are going to ##0##).

WWGD said:
If I understood correctly, ##1/x ,1/(x+1)## are counters.
No, they don't come under this since they have the same rate of change.

archaic said:
No, they don't come under this since they have the same rate of change.
Respective derivatives are ##-1/x^2 >-1/(x+1)^2##

WWGD said:
Respective derivatives are ##-1/x^2 >-1/(x+1)^2##
Right sorry. I think, then, that I can say something about the convergence of the limit given the assumptions? And then it follows that it is ##0## if the functions are not equivalent at ##\infty##?

archaic said:
What I want to say is, if there're two functions ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## who are going to ##0## as ##x\to\infty##, and such that after a certain ##x\,(=a)## we have ##f'(x)>g'(x)## then ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} \underset{\infty}{\to} 0## provided that ##f(x)\neq cg(x)## where ##c\in\mathbb{R}##, elsewise the limit would equal ##c##.
I realized some holes in this through math.stackexchange. I was initially thinking of two decreasing functions, i.e both positive.
However, since what I want to say is if ##f## goes to ##0## faster than ##g## then ..., the correct way to translate this in math is ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## (provided that both ##f## and ##g## are going to ##0##).

I can't see any reason why this would be true.

PeroK said:
I can't see any reason why this would be true.
$$N=n-m>0,\,\,\pm\frac{10^{-n}}{10^{-m}}=\pm10^{-n+m}=\pm10^{-N}=\pm\frac{1}{e^{N\ln10}}\underset{N\to \infty}{\to}0$$
By ##10^{k}## I just wanted to represent a kind of manual evaluation of a limit where the nominator is going to zero faster than the denominator. Maybe I should use ##O(10^{-n})##? Not sure, I need to study big-O notation.

archaic said:
$$N=n-m>0,\,\,\pm\frac{10^{-n}}{10^{-m}}=\pm10^{-n+m}=\pm10^{-N}=\pm\frac{1}{e^{N\ln10}}\underset{N\to \infty}{\to}0$$
By $10^{k}$ I just wanted to represent a kind of manual evaluation of a limit where the nominator is going to zero faster than the denominator. Maybe I should use ##O(10^{-n})##? Not sure, I need to study big-O notation.

I can't see the relationship between that and what you posted before.

PeroK said:
I can't see the relationship between that and what you posted before.
Well, if ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## and they are both going to ##0##, it means that ##f## is going to ##0## faster, and so the limit should be ##0##.

archaic said:
Well, if ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## and they are both going to ##0##, it means that ##f## is going to ##0## faster, and so the limit should be ##0##.

That relationship means that ##g(x)## is changing more quickly than ##f(x)##.

You've got that the wrong way round.

archaic said:

In any case, you already have the counterexample: ##f(x) = \frac 1 2 g(x)##.

Even if you exclude that precise counterexample, you only need two functions where ##f(x) \approx \frac 1 2 g(x)##. For example:

##f(x) = (\frac 1 2 + \frac{\sin x}{x})g(x)##

PeroK said:
That relationship means that ##g(x)## is changing more quickly than ##f(x)##.

You've got that the wrong way round.
If ##f## is going faster to ##0## than ##g##, then ##|df|## would be less than ##|dg|##, because it is already "at zero" so there isn't much to change.
PeroK said:
In any case, you already have the counterexample: ##f(x) = \frac 1 2 g(x)##.

Even if you exclude that precise counterexample, you only need two functions where ##f(x) \approx \frac 1 2 g(x)##. For example:

##f(x) = (\frac 1 2 + \frac{\sin x}{x})g(x)##
Right, see post #8.
through the different counter-examples given, it is clear that this is not true. however, given the premises, it seems that the limit always converges (maybe), and in the special case that ##f\underset{\infty}{\not\sim}g##, it is zero (maybe). This is just an intuitive exercise, I just feel like this might work out.

archaic said:
however, given the premises, it seems that the limit always converges (maybe), and in the special case that ##f\underset{\infty}{\not\sim}g##, it is zero (maybe). This is just an intuitive exercise, I just feel like this might work out.

Not that either. Just amend my last function:

##f(x) = (\frac 1 2 + \frac{\sin x}{10})g(x)##

Then the limit ##f(x)/g(x) = \frac 1 2 + \frac{\sin x}{10}## is undefined.

Likes archaic and member 587159
PeroK said:

wops

PeroK said:

It doesn't satisfy ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## so it doesn't come under this.

archaic said:
wops

Seriously, you ought to think about how I created these counterexamples. They only really involved some elementary geometrical thinking.

The only one we don't have is where ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = +\infty##.

Any ideas?

archaic said:
It doesn't satisfy ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## so it doesn't come under this.
With ##g(x) = e^{-x}## it all works out.

Likes archaic
PeroK said:
Seriously, you ought to think about how I created these counterexamples. They only really involved some elementary geometrical thinking.

The only one we don't have is where ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = +\infty##.

Any ideas?
you mean given the premises?

archaic said:
Yes.

archaic said:

Maybe this is the result that could be proved? If ##|f'(x)| < |g'(x)|##, then ##f(x)## is changing less than ##g(x)##, so ##f(x)/g(x)## cannot become arbitrarily large. So:

##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} \ne +\infty##?

PeroK said:
Maybe this is the result that could be proved? If ##|f'(x)| < |g'(x)|##, then ##f(x)## is changing less than ##g(x)##, so ##f(x)/g(x)## cannot become arbitrarily large. So:

##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} \ne +\infty##?
I thought you meant that there was an example where that limit goes to infinity...
But yes, it seems reasonable that given those premises the limit can't be arbitrarily large.

archaic said:
I thought you meant that there was an example where that limit goes to infinity...
... looking for counterexamples is good way to see what might be true.

PeroK said:
... looking for counterexamples is good way to see what might be true.
Hello again PeroK. Another way to put ##|f'(x)|<|g'(x)|## would be ##|f(x)|'>|g(x)|'## (for oscillating functions only in intervals where they are both positive, but the last step (the squaring) fixes this). Taking that into account, we have
$$\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}=\lim_{x\to\infty}\sqrt{\frac{(f'(x))^2}{(g'(x))^2}}=\lim_{x\to\infty}\sqrt{\frac{(|f(x)|')^2}{(|g(x)|')^2}}$$
But since ##0>|f(x)|'>|g(x)|'## we have ##0<(|f(x)|')^2<(|g(x)|')^2##, and so the limit cannot go to infinity as the quotient is always less than ##1##.

EDIT: I was wrong in using l'Hôpital's rule. I just read the wikipedia page and the limit of the quotient of the derivatives must exist.

Last edited:

What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a specific value, without actually reaching it.

Why are limits important in science and engineering?

Limits are important in science and engineering because they allow us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of systems. They are used to model real-world phenomena and make calculations that would otherwise be impossible.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as its input approaches the specific value from one direction, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior from both directions and requires the function to approach the same value from both sides.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can either use algebraic techniques or graphing techniques. Algebraically, you can evaluate the function at values approaching the specific value and see what value the function approaches. Graphically, you can plot the function and visually determine the behavior of the function as its input approaches the specific value.

What are some real-world applications of limits?

Limits have many real-world applications, such as calculating the maximum safe speed of a vehicle on a curved road, determining the maximum load a bridge can hold, and predicting the population growth of a species. They are also used in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to model and analyze various systems and phenomena.