Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About the experiment to find the reactance of inductor

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    I have just done an experiment on finding the reactance of (a)an air-core inductor and (b)an inductor with a soft-iron core.
    I have plotted a graph of Vrms against Irms for each experiment.
    For the graph in (a), the straight line can pass through origin; yet, for the graph in (b), the straight line cannot pass through the origin, but have a negative y-intercept.
    However, I cannot find an answer to explain this.
    Could anyone please kindly tell me why the graph in (b) cannot pass through the origin??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

xts

It seems to be quite strange result. Have you analysed errors? What is a χ2 of the fit you made and what would be χ2 for a proportional fit (going through 0,0)?
    Or maybe you went out of the linear region of permeability? What was the max current you measured and how many turns your coil has?

Post your plots if you want more detailed comments.

4. Sep 28, 2011 #3
    Since this experiment will be counted in the public exam, I cannot post it on the internet.
    Would you mind if you give me your email address so that I can send you my graphs?

5. Sep 28, 2011 #4

xts

Sent to you as a private message.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook