About time to think about Time

• A
  • Thread starter junjunjun233
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, Rovelli argues that in order to understand quantum gravity, we must build a picture of the physical world where the concept of time is not relevant. He proposes interpreting mechanics as a theory of relationships between variables rather than the evolution of variables over time. This raises questions about how this theory connects to the standard model and the purpose of promoting Rovelli's views in this discussion. It would be helpful for readers if specific points from the videos were addressed and supported by scientific journals.
junjunjun233
Old qoute I (Rovelli) argue that the best strategy for understanding quantum gravity is to build a picture of the physical world where the notion of time plays no role. I summarize here this point of view, explaining why I think that in a fundamental description of nature we must "forget time", and how this can be done in the classical and in the quantum theory. The idea is to develop a formalism that treats dependent and independent variables on the same footing. In short, I propose to interpret mechanics as a theory of relations between variables, rather than the theory of the evolution of variables in time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some discussion on Time.

Do you have a point? Or does everyone have to sit through 3-1/2 hours of video?

junjunjun233 said:
I propose to interpret mechanics as a theory of relations between variables, rather than the theory of the evolution of variables in time.
... which has what to do with the standard model?
Vanadium 50 said:
Do you have a point? Or does everyone have to sit through 3-1/2 hours of video?
A good question. I'll close this thread temporary for moderation.

Please send me another reason for this thread, than just the promotion of Rovelli's views and why you did not place it in classical physics, since your only statement is about mechanics.

It would also be a good service to our readers, if you could specify which points in the videos you want to address. They all can use youtube on their own and don't need an extra promotion. If possible quote a scientific journal where we can read about the positions you want to talk about.

1. How does time work?

Time is a concept used to measure the duration of events and the sequence in which they occur. It is often measured in seconds, minutes, hours, days, and years. Time is a fundamental aspect of the universe and is considered to be one of the most mysterious and complex topics in science.

2. Is time travel possible?

Currently, time travel is not possible according to our current understanding of physics. While there are theories that suggest the possibility of time travel, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, there is no concrete evidence or technology that supports the idea.

3. How does time perception vary among individuals?

Time perception can vary greatly among individuals and can be influenced by factors such as age, culture, and personal experiences. Some individuals may perceive time to pass quickly, while others may feel like time is moving slowly. This can also vary in different situations and environments.

4. Can time be measured accurately?

While we have developed tools and methods to measure time, it is impossible to measure time with 100% accuracy. Our methods of measuring time are based on natural phenomena, such as the Earth's rotation and the vibrations of atoms, which can have slight variations and errors.

5. How does time affect the aging process?

Time is a crucial factor in the aging process. As time passes, our bodies undergo biological changes that are associated with aging. This process is influenced by various factors such as genetics, lifestyle, and environmental factors. While time itself does not cause aging, it is a fundamental aspect of the aging process.