Transformer -- find equivalent circuit from efficiency and V.R

In summary, the given conversation discusses the parameters and calculations for a 200 KVA, 4000/1000 V transformer with 1 phase. The efficiency is 0.97 at full load and 60% load with unity power factor, and the no-load power factor is 0.25. The full load voltage regulation at 0.8 pf lag is 5%. The transformer circuit parameters are referred to the LV side, and the leakage impedance (X2) is found by using the formula for voltage regulation and the approximate voltage regulation formula. The book has used the per unit method, but the conversation attempts to solve without it.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

For 200 KVA, 4000/1000 V transformer. 1 phase.
Efficiency is 0.97 at full load and 60% load at unity power factor.
No load pf = 0.25
Full load Voltage regulation at 0.8 pf lag is 5%
Find transformer ckt parameters for referred to lv side

Homework Equations

efficiency is output / (output + copper loss + iron loss)
cu loss varies as square of current
or as square of percent load

voltage regulation is (|E2| - |V2|)/|V2|

The Attempt at a Solution

Well efficiency is 0.97 at both times:
full load and 60% load. both times unity pf.
so
.97 = output/(output + losses_
0.97 = 200000/(200000 + Pi + Pcu)
and
for 60% load
0.97 = 200000*0.6/(200000*0.6 + Pi + .36Pcu)

I got Pcu at full load = 3868.98 VA
Pi = 2319.59 VA

Full load current at unity pf = 200000/4000 = 50A
So Pcu = 502 * R(eq)
So R(eq) = 1.545 on HV Side
R(2) = 0.7725 ohm
Referring to LV side by multiplying by (4000/1000)2 I get 0.0967 ohm. (This matches book answer of 0.0961)

I don't know how to find out X parameter of leakage impedance.
The formula for voltage regulation is
(|E| - |V||)/|V| = 0.05 (given 5% regulation at 0.8 pf lag and full load)
V is 4000 V
So I get |E| = 4200 V.

Now:
E2 = V2 + (IZ) --- All vectors
V2 = 4000 V and is reference so angle is 0
I is 200000/4000 = 50A at angle 36.87 lagging V2 (given pf is 0.8). ---> I'm not sure whether I should be 50 or 50/0.8 A as pf is 0.8 at full load.

Z = R2 + jX2
R2 = 0.7725ohm.
I have to find X2.
So
4200 (at unknown angle) = 4000 + 50(lagging angle is 36.87) * Z(also some angle)
I don't know how to proceed to find X2.
Do I have to split the above equation in imaginary and real terms?

Book has used per unit method, but I want to try without per unit method to see if it works.

Physics news on Phys.org
jaus tail said:
Full load Voltage regulation at 0.8 pf lag is 5
You can use the formula for approximate voltage regulation here.
Regulation= (IRcosΦ+IXsinΦ)/V2, where R and X are referred to lv and I is the secondary full load current.

(Note IR/V2= Rpu and IX/V2= Xpu).

Likes jaus tail
Got it. Thanks. I was using R as only R secondary and not the R equivalent.

1. How do you calculate the efficiency of a transformer?

The efficiency of a transformer can be calculated by dividing the output power by the input power. The output power is typically measured by the voltage and current on the secondary side, while the input power is measured by the voltage and current on the primary side. The efficiency is expressed as a percentage and can range from 0% to 100%, with higher efficiency indicating less energy loss in the transformer.

2. What is the equivalent circuit of a transformer?

The equivalent circuit of a transformer is a simplified representation of its electrical characteristics. It consists of an ideal transformer with a primary and secondary winding, as well as resistances and reactances to account for losses and leakage flux. This equivalent circuit is used to analyze the performance of the transformer and calculate parameters such as efficiency and voltage regulation.

3. How is the voltage regulation of a transformer determined?

The voltage regulation of a transformer is determined by measuring the voltage on the secondary side when a certain load is connected. It is then compared to the no-load voltage on the secondary side. The difference between these two values is expressed as a percentage and is known as the voltage regulation. A lower voltage regulation indicates a more stable output voltage, while a higher voltage regulation indicates more voltage drop under load.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a transformer?

There are several factors that can affect the efficiency of a transformer, including the design of the transformer, the quality of its components, and external factors such as temperature and load conditions. The type of core material, the number of turns on the windings, and the quality of the insulation can all impact the efficiency of a transformer.

5. How can the efficiency and V.R. of a transformer be improved?

The efficiency and voltage regulation of a transformer can be improved by using high-quality materials, optimizing the design for specific applications, and minimizing external factors such as temperature and load conditions. Regular maintenance and proper installation can also help improve the efficiency and voltage regulation of a transformer.