Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About wavepacket unit and probability

1. Jul 19, 2015 #1

KFC

Hi all,
    In quantum mechanics, we consider the squared modulo of a wave function has meaning of probability, so does it mean a wave packet should be unitless? I am reading some materials online about the Gaussian wave packet http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys2170/phys2170_sp07/downloads/Gaussian.pdf, there at eq. 7.10, we have

##|\psi|^2 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}\sigma}\exp(-x^2/\sigma)##

I think ##\sigma## has the unit of meter so whatever inside the ##\exp## has no unit. But what about the coefficient? It has unit of 1/meter. When I am reading it, it looks like that ##|\psi|^2## is density of probability but not probability.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Indeed, ##|\psi|^2## is a probability density. In order to get an actual probability (which is unitless), you have to integrate over some interval in x: $$P = \int_a^b {|\psi|^2 dx}$$ gives the probability that the particle is in the range ##a \le x \le b##, provided that ##\psi## is normalized so that $$\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} {|\psi|^2 dx} = 1$$

4. Jul 20, 2015 #3
    |ψ|2 needs to have units of inverse meters because probability is dimensionless. remember that the dx in the integral has units of meters as well so
    |ψ|2dx has no units

5. Jul 20, 2015 #4

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's wrong.

Its dimensionless. Remember its the expansion of a state in position eigenvectors and since such expansions are arbitrary it must be dimensionless.

ie |u> = ∫|x><x|u> dx. By definition <x|u> is the wave-function and by construction obviously dimensionless as |x> and |u> are both a quantum state and have the same dimension. Quantum states are dimensionless - but that is just by the by.

Thanks
    Bill

6. Jul 20, 2015 #5
    If you want to view it as a probability density then you would require it have units of inverse vol/area/length depending on the dimensionality of the problem.

7. Jul 20, 2015 #6

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The probability density comes from the Born rule which is independent of units.

It does not matter how you twist or turn |u> = ∫|x><x|u> dx. implies <x|u> has no units since |x> and |u> are the same thing. There is simply no way it can be anything else.

A probability density does not have the units of what its a density in - in fact its dimensionless.

Thanks
    Bill

8. Jul 20, 2015 #7
    I disagree. Units depend on the basis you project onto. If you project a position vector onto the x unit vector you get a length. If you project it onto the azimuthal unit vector you will get an angle. Are you implying that integrating a dimensionless quantity over an interval of length will still leave you dimensionless?dx is not a dimensionless measure.

9. Jul 20, 2015 #8

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am saying exactly what I said. Look at the equation |u> = ∫|x><x|u> dx. All you are doing in integrating is multiplying something by a number and summing. Now if you obtain the same thing as what you multiply and sum ie a state what you multiply must be dimensionless.

But if you want to look at it as a probability density its the same thing. For example the 1/2 probability you assign to the heads and tails of a one dollar coin does not give it the dimensions of dollars. Probabilities are, by definition from the Kolmogorov axioms, dimensionless. They are a number assigned to an event.

Thanks
    Bill

10. Jul 20, 2015 #9
    mod psi squared is not a probability....for a given x, mod psi squared gives you a finite number, but I'm sure you know the actual probability of any given x is 0. You are correct, probabilities are dimensionless, but mod psi is NOT a probability. <x|u> has dimension inverse length, the measure dx has units length and returns the sum to dimensionless.

11. Jul 20, 2015 #10

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok - probability density - it changes nothing. Its still dimensionless.

What's the density of the Dirac measure? Its what's used to represent discreet distributions by densities.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  12. Jul 20, 2015 #11
    It's not dimensionless. you liked jtbell's response which agrees with me. Clearly stated it's not dimensionless until you integrate it.

13. Jul 20, 2015 #12

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not what he said.

Thanks
    Bill

14. Jul 20, 2015 #13

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is one of those cases where there is a distinction between [itex]\sum_n |n\rangle \langle n|[/itex] and [itex]\int |x\rangle \langle x| dx[/itex]. For a discrete basis, [itex]|n\rangle[/itex] is dimensionless, but for a continuous basis, [itex]|x\rangle[/itex] has dimensions of [itex]L^{\frac{-d}{2}}[/itex] so that [itex]|x\rangle \langle x|\ dx^d[/itex] is dimensionless.

15. Jul 20, 2015 #14

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have a function whose integral gives a probability. You have agreed probability is dimensionless. Differentiate a dimensionless quantity to give the original density and its still dimensionless.

Thanks
    Bill

16. Jul 20, 2015 #15

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The dimensions of |x><x| is not the issue.

Thanks
    Bill

17. Jul 20, 2015 #16

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh? Then I misunderstood what was being discussed.

18. Jul 20, 2015 #17
    The units are in the integration measure and the function, not the basis vectors. ∫dx has units of length...

19. Jul 20, 2015 #18

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We are discussing the dimensions of wave-functions. By definition a wave function is <x|u> in the following:
    |u> = ∫|x><x|u> dx

This is shorthand for the limit of a sum of |xi> where the |xi> goes to a continuum. Since that is exactly the same thing as |u> the weights in that sum must be dimensionless.

Thanks
    Bill

20. Jul 20, 2015 #19

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The dx there has units of probability. Its a probability density and applies to events - not lengths. It is the EVENT you get an observation in the infinitesimal interval dx.

Thanks
    Bill

21. Jul 20, 2015 #20
    <x'|x> is the delta distribution, delta has units inverse length

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook