Absorbtion coefficent and radiation curve

In summary, the author attempted to solve an equation relating absorption coefficients to wavelenght, but was unsuccessful due to lack of data at different wavelengths. The author suggests using a spreadsheet to calculate absorption coefficients, and that wavelength is another variable which affects absorption.
nbky

Homework Statement

I have data of an experiment to find absorbtion coefficent of a sample. one curve shows intensity of original beam, the other one is intensity with sample (with wavelenght). Here is the data :
original and sample.png

Homework Equations

IntensityEq4.jpg

Where: I = the intensity of photons transmitted across some distance x
I0 = the initial intensity of photons
s = a proportionality constant that reflects the total probability of a photon being scattered or absorbed
µ = the linear attenuation coefficient
x = distance traveled

The Attempt at a Solution

I did similar experiment before (not teoricaly). I set the experiment and took original beam intensity(I) and beam with sample intensity(I0). ln (I/I0) gave absorption coefficent.
But now i don't know how to do it with the graph with different wavelengt.

Physics news on Phys.org
And what is the area under the curve. I couldn't estimate that.
I though the ratio of the areas under curves give the result. Is it correct?

nbky said:

Homework Statement

I have data of an experiment to find absorbtion coefficent of a sample. one curve shows intensity of original beam, the other one is intensity with sample (with wavelenght). Here is the data :
View attachment 77649

Homework Equations

IntensityEq4.jpg

Where: I = the intensity of photons transmitted across some distance x
I0 = the initial intensity of photons
s = a proportionality constant that reflects the total probability of a photon being scattered or absorbed
µ = the linear attenuation coefficient
x = distance traveled

The Attempt at a Solution

I did similar experiment before (not teoricaly). I set the experiment and took original beam intensity(I) and beam with sample intensity(I0). ln (I/I0) gave absorption coefficent.
But now i don't know how to do it with the graph with different wavelengt.
It looks like you have an Excel spereadsheet with data. You can do the same calculation that you did for a single point with the column vectors in the spreadsheet. Series1 = I0 ; Series 2 = I.

You can rearrange the equation above to get: ln (I/I0) = -mu x if x = path length, how do you calculate mu at each point?

With small intensities, you are likely to get nonsense -- values at short wavelength (<300 nm) will likely be nonsense.

To integrate, you can use Euler's method for numerical integration -- that should be good enough -- but I would limit the integration to where the curve for mu is smooth.

I did -ln(I/I0) and the result is here:
absorption.png

It doesn't seem right to me. Absoprtion coefficent doesn't related with wavelenght acourding to lambert beer law. am i right?
So i think it should be like constant not exponential.

nbky said:
I did -ln(I/I0) and the result is here:
View attachment 77656
It doesn't seem right to me. Absoprtion coefficent doesn't related with wavelenght acourding to lambert beer law. am i right?
So i think it should be like constant not exponential.
The absorbance of most things depends upon wavelength. What were you measuring the absorbance of?

In your spectrum, you see larger absorbance at shorter wavelength, this is quite common, as the electronic transitions of many simple molecules & materials are at higher energy, shorter wavelength.

c.f. http://www.chemistrymag.org/cji/2003/056049pe.htm

http://www.chemistrymag.org/cji/2003/images/05604906.gif

Last edited:
It s CdSe.
So wavelength is another variable for absoption.
My main task is to compare this teorotical result with experimental result.
I did the experiment with many dichoric filters. For example with red filter the absorption was 1,09. when i evaluate teoric curve the red area (615-730) the avarage absorption is0,302.
green filter exp: 1,020, teoric 0,4522
blue exp:1,02 teoric 0,5949

first idea was the ratio between them is about distance that light traveled. But as you see the ratio isn't stable. Then you say wavelength is another variable (and i agree with you). now this is my new problem. Do you have any idea. I am stucked

1. What is the absorption coefficient?

The absorption coefficient is a measure of how much radiation a material absorbs. It is defined as the ratio of the absorbed energy to the incident energy.

2. How is the absorption coefficient measured?

The absorption coefficient can be measured using spectrophotometry, which involves passing a beam of radiation through the material and measuring the amount of radiation that is transmitted through it.

3. What factors affect the absorption coefficient?

The absorption coefficient is affected by several factors, including the type of material, its thickness, and the wavelength of the incident radiation. It can also be influenced by temperature and the presence of impurities.

4. What is a radiation curve?

A radiation curve, also known as a blackbody curve, is a graphical representation of the intensity of radiation emitted by a material at different wavelengths. It shows the relationship between the wavelength of the radiation and the amount of energy emitted.

5. How is the absorption coefficient related to the radiation curve?

The absorption coefficient is directly related to the shape of the radiation curve. Materials with high absorption coefficients will have a steep curve, indicating that they absorb a large amount of radiation at a specific wavelength. Materials with low absorption coefficients will have a flatter curve, indicating that they absorb less radiation at that wavelength.