Determine Radiation pressure given the fraction of total absorption

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
MrMoose
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Radiation of intensity I is normally incident on an object that absorbs a fraction frac of it and reflects the rest back along the original path. What is the radiation pressure on the object?

Homework Equations



Radiation pressure Pr (force/unit area)

Pra = I/c (total absorption)

Prr = 2I/c (total reflection back along path)

The Attempt at a Solution



The object absorbs a fraction frac of the intensity, which I translate mathematically as:

Pra = (frac)*I / c

This would mean that the total intensity reflected is:

Prr = 2*(1 - frac)*I/c

Unfortunately the answer is: Pra = (2 - frac)*I / c

I don't know how they came to this conclusion. Thanks in advance, MrMoose
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So how do you go from Pra and Prr to total pressure?
 
Holy smokes. Thanks.

Pra + Prr = (frac)*I/c + 2*(1-frac)*I/c = I*frac/c + 2*I/c - 2*frac*I/c

= (2 - frac)*I / c