Absorption Coefficient of Acetonitrile in the Visible Spectrum

  • Thread starter Thread starter sicjeff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
sicjeff
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know the molar absorption coefficient for acetonitrile? I need to know what wavelength the coefficient is at of course as well. Hopefully I can find one in the visible spectrum. My department does not have an ultra violet spectrophotometer.

I guess I should pick easier thermodynamic experiments :rolleyes:
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Acentonitrile does not have an appreciable visible absorbance.

Look in a Fisher catalog for the Optima grade. You will see that it has no appreciable absorbance down to 200 nm (deep in the UV!).

Absorbance (200nm) <= 0.07
 
thank you. I guess I will have to pick something else. Could anyone suggest a liquid immiscible in water that absorbs in the vis spectrum?
 
What is the solute and what, in general terms, are you trying to investigate?

BTW, acetonitrile is completely miscible in water. Good thing it didn't work out, yes?
 
i would suspect that acetonitrile is uv active