Can IR Absorption Peaks of Alkanes Be Predicted Based on Bond Strengths?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
1,615
Reaction score
612
I have a work assignment where I'm supposed to calculate the transmittance of blackbody radiation through liquid n-heptane, and I have data of the heptane's absorption coefficient on the wavelength interval from 2.6 to 15 micrometers (it has significant peaks at about 3.5 ##\mu##m, 7.0 ##\mu##m and 14.0 ##\mu##m). The problem is, a significant part of the blackbody radiative energy is at wavelengths under 2.6 ##\mu##m at high temperatures and at wavelengths over 15 ##\mu##m at lower temperatures. I managed to get a correct-looking result for high temperatures by assuming that there's no significant absorption maxima in the interval from visible light to 2.6 ##\mu##m (of course there's none at visible range as it's a colorless liquid), but I'm not that sure about the long-wavelength range.

Is there some computer program or some simple approximative calculation that could predict, on the basis of the C-C and C-H bond strengths, the approximate IR wavelengths where an alkane hydrocarbon can have significant spectral peaks?

thanks,
Hilbert2
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
hilbert2 said:
Thanks, that one seems to have data up to 500 cm-1 (or 20 ##\mu##m wavelength), so it's better than what I had.
That's basically the lower limit (in terms of energy) of vibrational absorption for organic molecules.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hilbert2