1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra- homomorphisms and Isomorphisms, proving not cyclic

1. Jul 28, 2010 #1
    1. Suppose that H and K are distinct subgroups of G of index 2. Prove that H intersect K is a normal subgroup of G of index 4 and that G/(H intersect K) is not cyclic.

2. Relevant equations- the back of my book says to use the Second Isomorphism Theorem for the first part which is... If K is a subgroup of G and N is a normal subgroup of G, then K/(K intersect N) is isomorphic to KN/N

3. The attempt at a solution- I know that any subgroup with order 2 is normal and that the intersection of 2 normal subgroups is normal. I just wasn't sure how to show it was index 4. Also, I wasn't what to do for the second part.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: what do you know about the product HK?

4. Jul 29, 2010 #3
    Alright, I think I got the first part of the proof. Now to show that the quotient group isn't cyclic, the back of my book says to observe that it has 2 subgroups of order 2... I'm not seeing what these 2 subgroups are, maybe just because quotients groups confuse me.

5. Jul 29, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Define L=HnK. You should know that the quotient group is defined by the products of cosets. Take h to be an element of H that's not in L. What coset could (hL)(hL) be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook