1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Onto Homomorphism to cyclic group

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If P: G-->C_6 is an onto group homomorphism and |ker(p)| = 3, show that |G| = 18 and G has normal subgroups of orders 3, 6, and 9.

C_6 is a cyclic group of order 6.

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    I determined that |G| = 18 by taking the factor group G/Ker(p) and realizing it is isormorphic to C_6 and so they must have equal order, then using Lagranges law (I think) I solved for |G| = |Ker(p)|*|C_6| = 18.

G must have a normal subgroup of order 3 because Ker(p) is a normal subgroup of G with order 3. How do I show that G has normal subgroups of order 6 and 9? Do I find a way to show that homomorphisms exist where the order of the kernals are 6 and 9?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write down a homomorphism Q:C_6-->C_6 such that ker(Q) has order 2. Suppose you consider the composition QP?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. Jan 22, 2015 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: ##C_6## has normal subgroups of orders 1, 2, and 3. (Why?) Now apply the correspondence theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted