1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra: irreducible polynomials

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that f(x)=x^3-7x+11 is irreducible over Q

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried using the eisenstein criterion for the polynomial. It doesn't work as it is written so I created a new polynomial g(x)=f(x+1)=(x+1)^3-7(x+1)+11=x^3+3x^2-4x+5. I did this because g(x) and f(x) are similar and if g(x) is irreducible so is f(x), but the new polynomial I constructed doesn't meet the eisenstein criterion either. Any ideas on where I should turn next?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2
    I've also tried breaking up the polynomial into two smaller ones:
    x^3-7x+11=(x+a)(x^2+bx+c)=x^3+(a+b)x^2+(ab+c)x+ac
    so from this, I get:
    a+b=0; ab+c=-7; ac=11
    by rearranging the equations I get b(-b^2+7)=11, but I don't know where I could go from there to show that no solutions for b exist in Q.

4. May 4, 2008 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that a rather severe limitation on a and c?

5. May 4, 2008 #4
    I think I see what you're saying, a and c can't be integers for their product to be 11, but they could both be rationals. I'm trying to prove that the polynomial is irreducible over Q. I do see that when I put b(-b^2+7)=11 into a calculator, my solution is not a rational number. That justifies that it's not reducible to me, but I'm sure there's a more definitive way of showing that without having to say "my calculator says this".

6. May 4, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it's reducible over Q then it must have a rational root, since it's a cubic. You might want to use the 'rational root theorem'.

7. May 5, 2008 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, they can. (In exactly 4 different ways)

But they have to be rational integers! (Because you're factoring an integer polynomial, rather than a more general one with nonintegral rational coefficients)

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  8. May 5, 2008 #7
    hey zero, how do you like abstract algebra so far? i am debating on whether or not to take it this summer. it's a 6-week course and my friend who tutors with me said it's the biggest B you first take :O

Last edited: May 5, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?