1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all irreducible polynomials over F of degree at most 2

1. Feb 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let F = {0,1,α,α+1}. Find all irreducible polynomials over F of degree at most 2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    To determine an irreducible polynomial over F, I think it is sufficient to check the polynomial whether has a root(s) in F,

So far, I got: x^2+x+α,x^2+x+α+1,x^2+αx+1,x^2+αx+α,x^2+(α+1)x+1,x^2+(α+1)x+α+1
    these polynomials don't have any roots in F (if my calculation right), but I am not sure that I have all irreducible polynomial or not. Can someone check for me or provide an easy way to me so that I can check by myself? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2016 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

What is [itex]\alpha^2[/itex], and what is the characteristic of the field?

4. Feb 18, 2016 #3
    α^2=α+1,(α+1)^2=α, the ch(F)=2

5. Feb 24, 2016 #4
    The easiest way would be to just write down all of the quadratics over this field and check whether or not each one has a root. If your question is only about monic polynomials, then there are only 16 such polynomials.

It is possible to write down a formula that counts the number of monic irreducible polynomials of a particular degree over a given finite field, and this could be used to tell you whether you had them all. However, I think that the above method would be easier in this case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted