1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[abstract algebra] Isomorphic group of units

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that gcd(n,m)=1, prove that [itex]\mathbb Z_{nm}^\times = \mathbb Z_n^\times \oplus \mathbb Z_m^\times[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    /

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can prove both groups have the same amount of elements (using Euler's totient function), but I can't figure out how to prove the isomorphism. One way would be to construct the isomorphism, but I can't seem to find one.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2
    Perhaps concider function [itex] f: \mathbb Z_{nm}^\times \rightarrow \mathbb Z_n^\times \oplus \mathbb Z_m^\times [/itex] such that f(a) = (a mod n, a mod m). Since if [itex]a \in \mathbb Z_{nm}^\times[/itex] then a is relatively prime to mn, so there is an integer solution x,y to the equations [itex]ax +mny =1[/itex]. Taking the equation, you can re-write it to [itex]mny = 1 - ax[/itex], which means [itex]ax[/itex] is congruent 1 modulo m, and congruent 1 modulo n. So actually a has an inverse mod m and mod n (in this case x). So f maps units to units. You can prove surjectiveness by Chinese Remainder Theorem, and since sets are finite this would imply bijectivity.

/edit reworded slightly.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  4. Aug 27, 2011 #3
    Thank you!

5. Aug 27, 2011 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a reminder to all homework helpers, we're supposed to help the student solve a problem, not to do it for them. Barre's post is a demonstration of exactly what not to do. Unfortunately, it's too late and the original poster has already received the complete solution to his homework problem. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook