1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Abstract Algebra: Polynomials problem

1. Jul 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f(x)=x5-x2-1 [tex]\in[/tex] C and x1,...,x5 are the roots of f over C. Find the value of the symmetric function:

(2x1-x14).(2x2-x24)...(2x5-x54)

2. Relevant equations

I think, that I have to use the Viete's formulas and Newton's Binomial Theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution

Unfortunately I can't solve the equation to the end. I will appreciate any help. Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2010 #2
    hmm...all I can think of right now is that, since the constant of f(x) is -1, we know that the product of the roots is 1.

So 2^5*x1x2x3x4x5 = 2^5 = 32, and (-x14)(-x24)(-x34)(-x44)(-x54) = -1.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I hope it helps. I'll think about it some more in a bit.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  4. Jul 2, 2010 #3
    I'm pretty sure that there is a craftier way than I am about to introduce, but here goes.

For any polynomial, [itex]f(x)[/itex], the product of the roots is the constant term of the polynomial. Also, the roots of [itex]f(x+a)[/itex] are related to the roots of [itex]f(x)[/itex] in the obvious way.

Here, we have [itex]f(x) = x^5-x^2-1.[/itex]

That's enough, but the factorization of [itex]x^4-2x[/itex] is crappy, so let's make it a little better.

Note that if [itex]x_i^5-x_i^2-1=0,[/itex] then
    [tex]
    2x_i-x_i^4=\frac{x_i^2-1}{x_i}=\frac{(x_i-1)(x_i+1)}{x_i}
    [/tex]

Then, to finish it off, your product is equivalent to
    [tex]
    \left(\prod_i (x_i-1)\right)\left(\prod_i (x_i+1)\right)/\left(\prod_i x_i\right) = (-3)(-1)/(-1)=-3
    [/tex]
    because the constant term of [itex]f(x)[/itex] is -1, [itex]f(x+1)[/itex] is -1, and [itex]f(x-1)[/itex] is -3.

5. Jul 2, 2010 #4
    You may be right, but I still think your method was pretty neat. Nice job.

6. Jul 2, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oooo. That is a really clever factorization. I was struggling with the 'crappy' factorization. Very nice. Except that the product of the roots is +1, like Raskolnikov said, isn't it? Not -1? Leaving a few details for oplik to clean up is a good idea.

7. Jul 2, 2010 #6
    I double checked, I stand by my answer. The product of the roots is +1.

But, in hindsight, this result from my original post needs explanation. It follows from one of Vi├Ęte's Laws. Namely, [tex] \prod_i x_i = (-1)^n \frac{a_0}{a_n} = (-1)^5 \frac{-1}{1} = 1. [/tex]

8. Jul 3, 2010 #7
    Thank you, all of you. I think, I got it ;)

9. Jul 3, 2010 #8
    Forgot the [itex](-1)^5[/itex]...Sorry.

10. Jul 3, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't apologize. You supplied the necessary hint. Correcting the details should be up to the OP. That's why I usually stop with the hint. Otherwise I make these detail mistakes.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook