Abstract/Modern Algebra - Relatively Prime

In summary: In fact, there's no reason to think that x is any less or more messy than axf+xcg+byf. They're both just integers.
b0it0i

Homework Statement

Note: gcd(a,b) = the greatest common divisor of integers a and b (not both 0)

suppose that (a,b)=1 and (a,c)=1
that is, a and b are relatively prime, and a and c are relatively prime

Is the following statement true? if so prove it

(bc,a)=1

I computed a few examples, and i claim that it is true

Homework Equations

theorem: linear combination of gcd

if d = gcd(a,b)

then there exists integers u and v such that

d = au + bv

corollary:

(a,b)=1 if and only if 1 = au +bv

The Attempt at a Solution

From the corollary stated above, i claimed that we must show that

1 = (bc)u + (a)v

thus we must find integers u and v that satisfy the statement above

since (a,b) = 1 and (a,c) = 1, I used that corollary again,

1 = ax + by and 1 = af + cg
for some integers x,y,f, and g

and i am stuck at this point. I have no idea what i can do with these statements

I'm not sure if my approach is correct. But in the textbook, and in my class notes there are no examples showing how we can prove two integers are relatively prime. So i assumed this is how we approach the problem

the only other thing we have learned so far, is the divisibility algorithm, and division

any hints, guidance, would be appreciated. thanks

edit: possible solution

i see, that's the final step missing

i said since
(a,b) = 1 --> 1 = ax + by
(a,c) = 1 --> 1 = af + cg
By Theorem, x,y,f, and g exist

1 = 1.1 = (ax+by)(af+cg) = a^2xf + axcg + aabyf + bycg
= a(axf + xcg + byf) + bc(yg)
therefore let

u = axf + xcg + byf
and
v = yg

and since, all the "letters" used exist and are integers, they satisfy the domain, and the proposition

is that correct? even though "u" is messy, it doesn't matter right? because those integers exist (by theorem)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to prove it is to use unique prime factorization. If gcd(a,b)=1 then a and b have no common prime factors. Ditto for a and c. The set of prime factors of bc is the union of the set of prime factors of b and c. If a has none in common with b and none in common with c, doesn't that prove it has none in common with bc?

Last edited:
i see what you're saying and it makes sense

but we have not gone over that topic in class, and that was not introduced in any of the proofs in the book

even though that is the easiest way, is there another method to do so?

actually i skimmed through the book, and i see it's in the upcoming section

i doubt that my professor would allow me to use an idea from a chapter we will be discussing later

Last edited:
what about this other approach: using the definition of GCD

d=gcd(a,b) if d satisfies the 2 following conditions

1) d|a and d|b
2) IF c|a and c|b --> c less than equal to d

1) is clearly true, since 1 divides any integer
2) i guess the hard part is to show that c is less than or equal to 1Or I believe this is the correct approach

d = gcd(a,b) iff and only if d satisfies

1) d|a and d|b
2) if c|a and c|b --> c|d

nevermind, this last approach doesn't work, because by hypothesis, c neither divides a nor b

Last edited:
Ok, gcd(a,b)=1 means that there are k1 and k2 such that k1*a+k2*b=1. gcd(a,c)=1 means there are l1 and l2 such that l1*a+l2*c=1. Multiply the two together and find m1 and m2 such that m1*a+m2*b*c=1.

Last edited:
i see, that's the final step missing

i said since
(a,b) = 1 --> 1 = ax + by
(a,c) = 1 --> 1 = af + cg
By Theorem, x,y,f, and g exist

1 = 1.1 = (ax+by)(af+cg) = a^2xf + axcg + aabyf + bycg
= a(axf + xcg + byf) + bc(yg)
therefore let

u = axf + xcg + byf
and
v = yg

and since, all the "letters" used exist and are integers, they satisfy the domain, and the proposition

is that correct? even though "u" is messy, it doesn't matter right? because those integers exist (by theorem)

Last edited:
That's correct. axf+xcg+byf is just as much of an integer as x is. It doesn't matter that it's "messy".

1. What is the concept of relative primality in abstract algebra?

Relative primality is a concept in abstract algebra that refers to the relationship between two integers. Two integers are relatively prime if they do not share any common factors other than 1. This means that their greatest common divisor (GCD) is 1. In other words, relative primality is a measure of how "closely connected" two integers are in terms of their factors.

2. How is relativity prime related to modular arithmetic?

Relative primality is closely related to modular arithmetic, which is a branch of abstract algebra. In modular arithmetic, numbers are reduced to their remainders when divided by a fixed number called the modulus. In this context, relative primality is important because it determines whether two numbers are relatively prime to the chosen modulus. This has implications for solving equations in modular arithmetic and finding solutions to certain mathematical problems.

3. Can two composite numbers be relatively prime?

No, two composite numbers cannot be relatively prime. This is because composite numbers, by definition, have more than two factors, which means they cannot have a GCD of 1. In order for two numbers to be relatively prime, they must only have a GCD of 1, which is only possible if they are both prime numbers.

4. How is relative primality used in cryptography?

Relative primality is an important concept in cryptography, which is the science of secure communication. In particular, it is used in the RSA encryption algorithm, one of the most widely used methods for securing digital communication. The security of RSA relies on the fact that it is difficult to find the GCD of two large, randomly chosen prime numbers. Therefore, the relative primality of these two numbers is crucial for the security of the encryption.

5. What is the difference between relative primality and absolute primality?

The main difference between relative primality and absolute primality is that relative primality is a concept in abstract algebra that applies to any two integers, while absolute primality is a property of a single integer. An absolute prime is a number that is only divisible by 1 and itself, while a number can be relatively prime to another even if it is not an absolute prime. In other words, absolute primality is a more restrictive concept than relative primality.