AC Circuit using circuit parameters - HELP

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding circuit parameters. The question asks for the voltage Vab (magnitude and angle), the active power dissipated in each resistance, the reactive power dissipated in Xl, and the total current. The conversation also mentions the calculations for these values using the given circuit parameters and equations. The speaker is unsure if their answers are correct and asks for clarification and any additional insights. They also inquire about a schematic to accompany the question.
Sirsh
Hey guys, Just need some help with this question, It asks for the answers to be in circuit parameters:
http://tinypic.com/r/k0k2ed/5
For some reason I don't think my answers are correct as I'm finding it hard to make sense of my answers to the questions.
a)Find the voltage Vab (magnitude and angle)
Vab = Va-Vb
current going to the first two resistors: I1=(V[itex]\angle0[/itex])/(2R)
current going through resistor and inductor: I2 = (V[itex]\angle0[/itex])/(R+Xl[itex]\angle90[/itex])
Itotal = I1+I2 = (V[itex]\angle0[/itex](3R+Xl[itex]\angle90[/itex]))/(3R+2RXl[itex]\angle90[/itex])

Va=It*2R = (V[itex]\angle0[/itex](3R+Xl[itex]\angle90[/itex]))/(3R+2RXl[itex]\angle90[/itex])*2R = (V[itex]\angle0[/itex](3R+Xl[itex]\angle90[/itex]))/(R+2RXl[itex]\angle90[/itex])

Vb = It*(R+Xl[itex]\angle90[/itex]) = (V[itex]\angle0[/itex](3R+Xl[itex]\angle90[/itex]))/(3R+RXl[itex]\angle90[/itex])

Vab = Va-Vb
Therefore: (V[itex]\angle0[/itex](3R+Xl[itex]\angle90[/itex]))/(R+2RXl[itex]\angle90[/itex]) - (V[itex]\angle0[/itex](3R+Xl[itex]\angle90[/itex]))/(3R+RXl[itex]\angle90[/itex]).

Not sure if that's right.. A little insight would be appreciated!

b) Calculate the active power dissipated in each reistance.

Power dissipated in resitor/s (R) = I^2*R = ((V[itex]\angle0[/itex](3R+Xl[itex]\angle90[/itex]))/(3R+2RXl[itex]\angle90[/itex]))^2*R

Power dissipated in inductor = 0.

c) Calculate the reactive power dissipated in Xl.

Q = I^2*jXl = I^2*Xl[itex]\angle90[/itex] = ((V[itex]\angle0[/itex](3R+Xl[itex]\angle90[/itex]))/(3R+2RXl[itex]\angle90[/itex]))^2*Xl[itex]\angle90[/itex]

d) calculate the total current
Now this is where I am confused it asks me to calculate the total current now even though i thought I already have.. Is this wrong?

Thanks a lot guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a schematic to accompany this?

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses alternating current to transmit and distribute electrical energy. This means that the direction of the electrical current changes periodically, unlike in a DC (direct current) circuit where the current flows in only one direction.

2. What are the main components of an AC circuit?

The main components of an AC circuit include a power source (such as a generator), conductors (wires), resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components work together to allow the flow of AC current and to control its characteristics.

3. What are circuit parameters in an AC circuit?

Circuit parameters refer to the properties of the components in an AC circuit that affect the flow and behavior of the current. These include parameters such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance, which are measured in units like ohms, farads, and henrys, respectively.

4. How do circuit parameters affect the behavior of an AC circuit?

The values of circuit parameters determine how an AC circuit behaves. For example, resistance limits the amount of current that can flow through a circuit, capacitance stores electrical energy, and inductance resists changes in current. By varying these parameters, the characteristics of an AC circuit, such as voltage, current, and frequency, can be controlled.

5. What is the difference between series and parallel AC circuits?

In a series AC circuit, the components are connected one after the other in a single loop. This means that the same current flows through each component. In a parallel AC circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, and the current is divided among them. This results in different voltage and current characteristics in each branch.