AC Magnetic Field (solenoid) ID OD L AmpTurns Relationship

In summary, the speaker is trying to make a .4 Tesla AC (50Hz) magnetic coil using specific dimensions and wire size. They have achieved a field strength of 0.27 Tesla at 75A, but can only work for 5 minutes before needing to cool the coil. They are unsure about the relationship between coil dimensions and field strength, and are looking for guidance on how to maximize the field. They also mention the potential hazards of working with such high currents and inductance.
gosain_sanjay
I am trying to make a .4 Tesla AC (50Hz) magnetic coil. Originally I used ID-38MM, OD-155MM & Length of Solenoid 50MM. Using 3.5MM X 1.5MM wire 380 Turns. I get 0.27 Tesla at 75Amp. but the wire allows me to work only for around 5 Min with Forced air cooling.
I do not know the relationship how the field will depend on ID,OD & Length (just that the field is directly proportional to Amp Turns).
It would be great if some could give a conditions for maximum field.

Any guidance will be great help since i was not able to find anything on NET.

Physics news on Phys.org
If no one has an answer can anyone suggest a Book for Ac coils ?

Hi gosain_sanjay! There are a number of inter-related factors to play with. Is 75A the maximum current you are able to supply? In which case, you can only change coil dimensions and number of turns to gain a stronger field. If your arrangement gets too hot, then you will have to use thicker wire or else use two parallel windings.

If you double the wire's cross-sectional area, you halve its resistance and the amount of heat produced falls by half, providing current remains the same. However, with the bulkier windings, there is probably less effective cooling so the temperature may not fall by as much as you would hope.

With such a large current in a large inductance, there is considerable energy stored and this can be hazardous. If a wire should break or a connection come apart, this energy will be released in one giant flash splattering molten copper around. Tight-fitting safety glasses are a must.

1. What is the relationship between the ID, OD, AmpTurns, and AC magnetic field in a solenoid?

The relationship between the inner diameter (ID), outer diameter (OD), AmpTurns, and AC magnetic field in a solenoid is described by the following equation: B = (μ0*N*I)/L, where B is the magnetic field in Tesla, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, I is the current in Amps, and L is the length of the solenoid in meters.

2. How does changing the AmpTurns affect the magnetic field in a solenoid?

Changing the AmpTurns, or the product of the number of turns and the current, will directly impact the strength of the magnetic field in a solenoid. Increasing the AmpTurns will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing the AmpTurns will result in a weaker magnetic field.

3. What is the purpose of the inner and outer diameters in a solenoid?

The inner and outer diameters of a solenoid are important factors in determining the strength of the magnetic field. The inner diameter affects the strength of the magnetic field at the center of the solenoid, while the outer diameter affects the strength of the magnetic field at the edges of the solenoid.

4. How does AC current affect the magnetic field in a solenoid?

AC current, or alternating current, will cause the magnetic field in a solenoid to constantly change direction. This results in an alternating magnetic field that can be used for various purposes such as induction heating or electromagnetism.

5. Can the relationship between ID, OD, AmpTurns, and AC magnetic field be used to calculate the strength of the magnetic field at any point inside the solenoid?

Yes, the relationship between ID, OD, AmpTurns, and AC magnetic field can be used to calculate the strength of the magnetic field at any point inside the solenoid, as long as the dimensions and parameters of the solenoid are known. This equation is based on the ideal assumptions of a perfect solenoid, so there may be some variation in the actual magnetic field strength at certain points within the solenoid.