Force on Steel Bar Inside Solenoid

In summary, a group of physics students are building a coil cannon and have been trying to calculate the force acting on a steel bar inside a solenoid. They have found approximations for the magnetic field and are now looking for equations to predict the final velocity of the projectile. The group is under the supervision of a university, but they are not able to help with the calculations. The students are also confident that they can avoid any potential danger with their project.
abilolado
Hello all.
Me and some friends are building a coil cannon, and we've been doing some calculations [I know its unecessary but... well, we're physicists! (well, physics students...)]. But we got stuck.
How to calculate the force acting on a steel bar (or some other ferromagnetic material, maybe there's a constant related to each type of material for this application) of length [itex]L_{bar}[/itex] and radius [itex]R_{bar}[/itex] inside a solenoid of [itex]N[/itex] turns with current [itex]i[/itex] flowing through it ([itex]R_{bar}<R_{solenoid}[/itex])?
I found approximations that the magnetic field inside the solenoid is [itex]B=\mu N i[/itex] (using the right hand rule to find the direction, no problem there). I don't know, however, how to get the force applied on a steel bar under this field. Even an approximation would be great (But exact solutions are very appreciated, even more if they have the whole process of deriving the equation, hehe).
From the demonstrations online, I see that the bar oscillates going in and out of the coil. So I'm guessing there's some sort of harmonic oscillation approximation.
Much like shown in this clip (2:13):

(Unless the damping comes from something other then friction, there's no need to include it)

PS: Since we're using a capacitor bank, the current will not be constant, but I guess I can integrate the approximation over a varying current anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
How big is your capacitor bank? What size projectile, and with what planned exit velocity?

berkeman said:
How big is your capacitor bank? What size projectile, and with what planned exit velocity?
Everything is arbitrary for now.

abilolado said:
Everything is arbitrary for now.
Whelp, if you are hoping to work with many kJ of capacitively stored energy and fire medium size projectiles at many meters per second, this thread will be closed as dangerous. If you are looking to make a small table-top demonstration with 12V capacitive storage of a little bit of energy, that may be okay.

BTW, I didn't watch the video. Solenoids work by pulling ferrous metal bars into the coil. How do you make an ejector mechanism out of that?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the meaning of a solenoid. The whole point is to have the projectile, or whatever it is, being accelerated due to the magnetic field produced by the current in a looped wire. The current would be cut off once the projectile reached the middle of the coil so that there be no force pulling it back in, like in the video.
I just need to know the equations describing the forces or the displacement so we can make predictions about the final velocity.
We're just a physics club under the supervision of the university, there's not much we can to do make it dangerous in any way.

abilolado said:
We're just a physics club under the supervision of the university,

And nobody at this university can help you with these calculations? How is this "supervision"?

abilolado said:
there's not much we can to do make it dangerous in any way.

That's absurd. "We don't know what we are doing so we can't make it dangerous" is simply untrue.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is often used in electronic devices such as doorbells, speakers, and electric motors.

2. What is the force on a steel bar inside a solenoid?

The force on a steel bar inside a solenoid is known as the "magnetic force." It is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field produced by the solenoid and the magnetic properties of the steel bar.

3. How is the force on a steel bar inside a solenoid calculated?

The force on a steel bar inside a solenoid can be calculated using the formula F = BIl, where F is the force, B is the magnetic flux density, I is the electric current, and l is the length of the bar.

4. What factors affect the force on a steel bar inside a solenoid?

The force on a steel bar inside a solenoid can be affected by several factors including the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the electric current, the length and diameter of the solenoid, and the magnetic properties of the steel bar.

5. How can the force on a steel bar inside a solenoid be increased?

The force on a steel bar inside a solenoid can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the strength of the electric current, or using a stronger magnetic material for the steel bar. Additionally, increasing the length and diameter of the solenoid can also increase the force.